Chapter 37

*A/N- Hello my Lovlies! I hope this note finds you well on this Eve of Christmas. According to NORAD, Santa will be flying over my house soon- guess I better get in bed! Only 2 more updates left for this book. Sad, I know, but on a much happier note, tomorrow is Christmas! So, Merry Christmas to all and to all a goodnight!*

Bella dropped Renesmee and Jacob off at Charlie's and was picking Jackie up at the place where they had agreed to meet. Jackie was unsure what this was all about, but Bella insisted this was important.

"Had enough of our Jedi mind training today?" Jackie joked as she got into the passenger seat.

Bella smiled. "I think we're both ready for the Volturi," she replied confidently. "I can deflect them and you can compel them," she said.

"So then what is this all about?" Jackie asked.

Bella hesitated for a moment.

"You know how the note Alice left was on a page from a book?"

"Yeah, the Merchant of Venice," Jackie answered.

"Well, I got to thinking and I decided to check out the book," Bella said. She left a note in there too."

"Wait," Jackie paused, "can I see it?"

"Uh-no," Bella replied. "I burnt it."

"The book?"

"Yeah," Bella said.

Jackie ran her hands through her hair. "This is very confusing," she frowned.

"In the book, Alice wrote down a name- J. Jenks, then she wrote 'Tell Jackie and burn this'," Bella explained. "So I burnt the book and we're on our way to meet J. Jenks."

"Gotcha," Jackie snapped her fingers as she finally understood. "Alice knew that only our minds would be safe from Aro, so that's why she had you burn the book."

"Exactly," Bella said. "So who do you think J. Jenks is?" she asked.

"No. Idea," Jackie replied.

"Well maybe Alice has a plan for us after all," Bella said, a glimmer of hope in her voice. "And maybe J. Jenks is the key."

Jackie sat silently as she thought it all through. Maybe Bella was right.

As it turned out, Bella was not right.

"Mrs. Cullen and Mrs. Cullen," Jenks greeted the two with a nod as they were directed to his table inside the restaurant. "I'm so happy you called," he said as they all sat down."I always meet my private clients here, it's more comfortable than the office."

"And more public," Bella remarked.

The man didn't say anything, but his smile was enough of an answer.

"So what type of work do you do?" Jackie asked.

"Well, you know, this and that," he said. "It's always different which keeps it interesting."

"Have you known Alice and Jasper long?" Bella questioned.

Jenks nodded. "I've been working with them for more than twenty years," he replied. "And my late partner, knew Jasper fifteen years before that. He's unusually well preserved."

Jackie chuckled. "Yes, he is."

"I trust that Mr. Jasper is enjoying his vacation?" Jenks asked the women.

Bella's face lit up. "He didn't tell you where he was going, did he?" she asked.

"No," Jenks shook his head and the look of hope fell from Bella's face.

"He's just mentioned that he was leaving when he came by to place his order," Jenks replied.

"I assume that his order is ready?" Bella questioned.

"Of course," Jenks replied, slightly offended. "I've never been late with a delivery."

Jenks slid an envelope towards the two women and Bella quickly opened it. A frown formed on her face as she looked at the contents inside.

"Is there a problem?" Jenks asked as Jackie frowned in response to the envelope's contents as well.

Bella and Jackie shared a look before Jackie finally answered. "My sister and I thought that we'd all be traveling together," she explained. "Us, our husbands and the five children."

"Jasper said only the children were traveling," he shook his head. "His instructions were very clear."

Clearly disappointed, Bella grabbed the envelope with the forged passports and documents for the three girls, Jacob and Seth, and stood from the table.

"It's our mistake," Bella replied. "Apparently that's not going to happen."

***
My Dearest Sofia and Maddie,
I thought we would have forever together, but forever isn't as long as I'd hoped. Everything you will need is in this bag, and Seth and Benjamin will look after you and keep you both safe. I know that the both of you will grow up to be two beautiful young women. I love you, my darlings, with all of my heart. -Mom

"Did you finish your letter?" Jackie asked as she found Bella in the closet filling a pack with the documents and money.

"Yeah," Bella said. "Did you?"

"Yeah," Jackie nodded. "Here," she said handing it over to Bella who stuffed the letter into the bag along with hers.

"It's a romantic notion, isn't it?"

Suddenly both Jackie and Bella jumped as Alistair walked in on them.

"That a righteous few can defy a great evil," he said. "I must admit," he continued, "even you had me believing for a moment."

"Well, good luck," he finished as he turned his back on them. "You're gonna need it."

***
It was early Christmas morning and Jackie stood looking out the big picture window inside her and Emmett's home. Emmett, coming up behind her, wrapped his strong arms around her. She leaned her head back against his chest. It was always such an incredible feeling being so close to him.

"The snow is starting to stick," she said, a small hint of worry in her tone.

"At least we still have today," Emmett said.

Turning around in his arms, Jackie smiled against his chest as she inhaled his scent for what might be one of the last times. She let her hands clasp behind his neck and the two just stood there for a while in eachother's embrace. Finally they heard the rest of their family beginning to stir.

"Mommy, Daddy, Mommy, Daddy!" the girls shouted excitedly. "It's Christmas!"

The little family gathered in the living room, even Seth and Benjamin were there. Sofia and Maddie ripped into their presents from Santa with record speed and both beamed as they received the Barbies and accessories they'd asked for.

"Here, Mommy," Sofia handed Jackie a small box. "This one's for you from Daddy," she said.

Jackie opened the box and gasped. Smiling she pulled it out of the box and Emmett clasped it around her neck. Both girls approved of the beautiful snowflake necklace.

Benjamin and Seth handed each of the girls a gift. Maddie's was an intricate beaded bracelet that Benjamin had fashioned. He even included a golden hyroglyphic that stood for eternal love. Seth had carved Sofia a small wooden wolf and placed it on a leather bracelet.

Sofia's was a bracelet with a small wooden wolf charm. The girls couldn't stop smiling as they looked at all of their presents.

"Those are beautiful," Jackie exclaimed. "Do you want to put them on?"

Both girls nodded their heads vigorously and handed Jackie their bracelets.

"It's so pretty," Sofia whispered as Jackie placed it on her wrist.

"It is really pretty," Jackie agreed. "Just like you."