Chapter 25

"Jacob's here," Alice announced to the room full of Cullen's gathered around Bella.

Looking over at her, there was no need for words as Jackie and Bella adaquetly communicated with merely a look and a nod. Jackie gathered all her courage and walked to the front door, opening it and greeting Jacob before he even reached the steps.

"You're here?" he asked, a look of shock and surprise on his face. "Charlie said you were too sick to travel and had to extend your trip," he said as he grabbed her up in a hug.

"I'm fine," she spoke softly, giving him a tight lipped smile.

"Thank god," he replied setting her back down.

"But Jacob," she began, placing a hand on his shoulder. "There's something I need to show you," she said. "Promise me you'll stay calm, and don't mention how Bella looks."

"Wait," Jacob paused, narrowing his eyes. "She's here?"

Shoving past her, Jacob ran up the stairs to the living room where everyone else was gathered. Jackie followed slowly behind. She had a feeling this was going to end badly.

"I'm glad you came," Bella smiled as Jacob walked into the room.

"You look terrible," he replied as he sat down on the couch next to her.

"Yeah," Bella frowned, "it's nice to see you too," she said.

"So are you going to tell me what's wrong with you?" he asked shooting a quizzical eyebrow at her.

Bella turned to Jackie and held out her hand. "Wanna help me up?" she asked.

Jackie gripped her hand and helped Bella stand. As the quilt dropped, it was blatantly obvious that Bella was pregnant. Her belly was abnormally huge and had an almost deathly look to it.

Jacob suddenly shot up. "You did this!" he yelled as he lunged towards Edward. Emmett quickly grabbed Jacob's shoulder, holding him in place. With disgust, Jacob looked up at Emmett. "Did you knock Jackie up too?" he challenged.

"Not that we know of," Carlisle answered calmly. "I didn't know it was even possible," he said hoping to diffuse the situation.

"What is it?" Jacob asked.

"I'm not sure," Carlisle replied. "Ultrasounds and needles won't penetrate the embryonic sack," he explained.

"I can't see it either," Alice added. "And I can't see Bella's future anymore."

"We've been researching legends, but there isn't much to go on," Carlilse told him. "What we do know is that it's strong and fast growing."

"Why haven't you done anything?" Jacob asked. "Take it out of her," he demanded.

Bella cringed, visibly dissapointed that another person disagreed with her choice.

"Jacob this fighting isn't good for Bella," Jackie said.

"The fetus isn't good for Bella!" snapped Alice.

"Wow, seriously?" Jackie replied. "Say the word, Alice. Baby! It's just a little baby!" Jackie exclaimed.

"Possibly," Jasper snickered.

Frustrated, Jacob ran his hands through his hair. "Carlisle, you've gotta do something," he tried again. But this time Bella had had enough.

"No!" she yelled. "It's not his decision," she replied. "It's not any of yours," she reminded them.

"Jacob," Edward suddenly called. "I need to talk to you," he said. "You too Jackie," he told her.

Jackie nodded her head and followed them outside. She had a feeling where this conversation was headed and figured Edward asked her to come along to keep the peace.

"I always knew you'd destroy her," snarled Jacob once they were all outside.

"She thinks Carlisle can turn her at the last minute," Jackie tried to explain.

"Like he did for me and Esme," Edward added.

"Can he?" Jacob asked them.

Edward frowned. "The probability is-" he looked down at the ground, unable to finish.

"It's slight," Jackie spoke up. " And if her heart fails-"

"Look, Jacob," Edward interjected, not letting Jackie finish her sentance. "I need you to do something for me."

Jacob laughed bitterly and turned to leave.

"For her then," Edward quickly stated. Jacob turned back, crossing his arms over his chest, waiting for Edward to continue.

"You have a connection with her that I'll never understand," he said. "Maybe you could talk to her, change her mind," Edward suggested. "You could keep her alive."

"And if I can't?"

Edward swallowed hard before answering.

"If she dies, you get what you always wanted," he paused. "To kill me."

***
Shaking her head, Jackie walked away from them and headed up towards Emmett's old room. She smiled when she found her man-child of a husband sitting on the floor with his back against the bed, playing video games.

She laid down on the bed on her tummy, facing the foot of the bed. Her head coming to rest on top of one of Emmett's massive broad shoulders. Playfully, she licked his neck before nibbling lightly on his ear lobe.

"Don't start anything you don't intend to finish, woman," he growled.

She smiled against his neck, but pulled back with a sigh. She wasn't about to do it with a house full of sensitive hearing vampires.

Pausing his game, Emmett suddenly became very serious. "I don't think the girls should be around for this," he told her.

"I agree," replied Jackie. "We don't know how this whole thing will actually go down."

"We'll tell them the same thing we told Charlie and the School Board," he decided.

Taking a deep breath, Jackie sighed. "I just don't think I can handle their sad little voices," she replied.

"I'll call," he said. "Besides, you better get back down there," Emmett informed her. "It sounds like Jacob's going crazy again."

Instantly Jackie could hear all the commotion and ran downstairs ready to defend Bella if that's what was needed.

"Jacob, don't go!" Bella had just finished shouting.

"I know how this ends," he told her shaking his head, "and I'm not sticking around to watch."

Jackie winced as he ran out of the house slamming the door behind him. Bella all but collapsed on the couch, shaking and crying hysterically. Jackie looked at Bella with pity in her eyes before rushing to her side.

"He'll come back," she said, lighly rubbing circles on Bella's back. "He'll come back," she assured, nodding her head with a smile.

Bella turned to her with tears streaming down her face. "And if he doesn't?" she asked, a sob catching in the back of her throat.

Jackie simply shrugged her shoulders. "Then he's a jack ass."