Chapter 19

"Impressive," began Jane as the Volturi confronted the Cullen's."I've never seen a coven escape an assult of this magnitude intact," she commented as the four pushed the hoods back on their cloaks.

"We were lucky," Carlisle responded.

"I doubt that," argued Jane.

From beside her, Alec stepped forward. "It appears we've missed an entertaining fight," he remarked.

"Yes, it's not often we're rendered unnecessary," Jane replied.

Edward tried to inform them that they were just a few minutes too late but Jane seemed uninterested until her eyes flicked over to a newborn standing behind the Cullen's.

"You missed one," she mused as a small smirk tugged on her lips.

"We offered her asylum in exchange for her surrender," Carlisle explained.

"It wasn't yours to offer," Jane snapped.

Jane focused all her attention on the girl. "Who created you?" she asked.

"You don't need to do that," Esme intervened as the girl let out a blood curdling scream, "she'll tell you anything you wanna know."

"I know," Jane replied evenly.

Bree, the young vampire, looked up to answer but wasn't much help since she didn't know the answer.

"Her name was Victoria," Edward answered for the girl. "Perhaps you knew her?" he questioned.

"Edward," Carlisle reprimanded, " if the Volturi had knowledge of Victoria, they would have stopped her. Isn't that right, Jane?"

The blonde hesitated for a moment, as all eyes looked on her.

"Of course," she answered, then quickly ordered Felix to execute the girl. Esme protested and Carlisle asked they give her a chance, but Jane refused to be reasoned with.

"The Volturi don't give second chances," she stated. "Keep that in mind," she added. "Caius will be interested to know that she's still human," Jane said nodding her head towards Bella.

"I also think he'll find this one of great interest as well," Jane replied as Demitri flashed towards the woods and back again with an unconscious Jackie in his arms.

Emmett's stomach churned at the sight of his mate in the arms of that vile monster. Suddenly Emmett flashed forward clenching his fists multiple times as fury like he had never felt before exploded inside of him.

"What have you done to her?" Emmett growled through clenched teeth as he fought the urge to crush the tiny blonde's neck.

Jane shrugged her shoulders like it was no big deal. "I only tortured her till she passed out," she replied.

Emmett envisioned himself violently dismembering their heads. He slowly stepped forward with a malevolent grin plastered across his face- he was going to enjoy this. However, all thoughts of revenge were quickly halted as his heart shattered to a million pieces when Jackie whimpered his name.

"Give her to me, now!" Emmett roared causing Demitri to tremble slightly at the powerful command. He immediately handed Jackie over.

Ignoring Emmett's glare, Jane proceeded to advise the small coven. "I expect both of them to be changed before winter," she warned. "I don't think I need to remind you what the punishment is for disregarding Caius and his decisions."

"That won't be necessary," Bella spoke up, "the date has been set," she assured.

"Very well," Jane replied before turning her attention back to the newborn. "Felix, take care of that," Jane directed, "I'd like to go home."