Chapter 11

The following morning, Emmett tried his hardest to delay Jackie's trip out to LaPush. At one point he had even considered pulling the battery wires on her truck like Edward had done to Bella, but opted instead for more subtle ways. While putting on her mascara, Emmett suddenly grabbed her up, bear hugging her to his muscular chest. With a grin tugging at his lips, Jackie knew exactly what he was trying to do.

"Emmett Cullen, put me down this instant," she demanded, knowing she would never be able to wiggle free from his herculean grasp.

With a disappointed look, he set her down.

"I'm going, ok? And that's final," she commanded.

With a huff and an eyeroll, Emmett went and sat back down on the bed.

"You're pouting like a two year old," she laughed.

"No, I'm not," he mumbled but then realized as his arms crossed his chest that maybe he was acting slightly childish.

"I don't understand why you just don't go with me," she suggested.

"I can't," he whined for the fifteenth time. "I'm not allowed on their lands because of the treaty." His eyes widened like saucers as he realized what he just blurted out.

"Treaty?" Jackie shrieked as she turned towards Emmett. "There's a treaty?" she questioned. Clearly the situation between the two parties was worse than she initially thought.

"Yeah, but," he hesitated, "it's no big deal," he lied and sighed in relief as the girls suddenly ran in, distracting Jackie from further questioning.

It wasn't long after that, that Jackie found herself once again in the crushing embrace of Emmett as she was walking out the door to leave.

"Seriously, you're worse than the girls," she teased him. "I'll only be gone for a couple hours."

"Two hours, tops," he told her.

"It takes a little bit longer than that," she laughed as she hopped into her truck. Before he could argue, she shut the door and waved as she pulled away. She really wanted to know what this controversy was over.

A thirty minute drive later, and Jackie pulled into LaPush. As she pulled up to the Clearwater house, Sue and a teenage boy were standing outside waiting for her. The boy was tall and muscular, but not nearly as large as Emmett. He was cute, with beautifully tanned skin, a mop of short black hair and a killer smile, that dissapered as she got out of her truck.

"You didn't tell me she was with them," Jacob hissed catching a whiff of her scent mixed with someone else.

"She doesn't know what they are yet, Jacob," Sue whispered with a calm voice.

"Well then maybe we should enlighten her." Jacob's voice was filled with bitterness and disgust.

"She's not ready," Sue shook her head. "She's running from something," she informed him. "When the time is right, I will," she reassured Jacob placing a firm hand on his shoulder.

Both quit whispering and turned to greet Jackie as she walked up to them.

Sue immediately grabbed Jackie into a tight hug, then turned to introduce her to the boy standing next to her.

"Hi, I'm Jake," he said extending a hand to her and flashing her another hundred watt smile.

"Jackie," she smiled, shaking his hand.

"Sue told me you might need some help with the supplies?"

"Yeah," Jackie replied. "There's a couple boxes in my truck bed," she said nodding towards it as Jake walked over and started grabbing them. "There pretty heavy..." she trailed off as he walked past her carrying everything with little effort.