Chapter 15

"Hey, Jackie?" Bella ran up to her after the tribal meeting. "Do you think you could give me a ride home?" She asked.

Jackie willingly agreed and both girls hopped in to her truck. As she started it up, Jackie cringed slightly embarrassed, as some Avenged Sevenfold blared, rather loudly through the speakers.

"Sorry," Jackie chuckled nervously as she scrambled to turn down the dial. "It's not often the girls aren't with me," she replied sheepishly.

"No, it's cool," Bella grinned. "All Edward ever listens to is classical," she rolled her eyes.

They rode in silence for a while, both caught up in their thoughts. Finally Jackie reached over and shut the music off.

"Can I ask you something?" She asked.

Bella hesitated for a moment, "Yeah.. sure," she replied as she nervously licked her lips.

"The Cullen's," Jackie began, "they're... different."

"What do you mean?" Bella questioned.

"Well, I know that sometimes Alice gets visions," Jackie stated. "And Edward, he can hear people's thoughts," she paused glancing over at Bella. "Am I right?" It was more of a challenge than an actual question.

Bella remained silent but Jackie noticed that she didn't deny any of it either.

"Emmett is impossibly strong," she continued. "And I'm pretty sure they're the cold one's from Billy's story," she added. "But warewolves?" Jackie frowned. "You don't actually believe that, do you?" she asked.

Bella thought for a moment before answering. "Well, I guess the real question is, do you?"

As Jackie pulled into Bella's driveway, their conversation was cut short and her heart immediately sunk into her stomach.

"Wow, you are in so much trouble," Bella said with a smug look on her face.

"How did he find out?" Jackie hissed as she looked away from Emmett's intensely pissed off glare. His arms were folded across his massive chest and his foot tapped impatiently on the ground.

"I don't know," Bella answered honestly, "but I'd hate to be in your shoes."

"This is ridiculous," Jackie said, running her hands through her hair. "I'm a grown adult, I don't have to answer to him," she replied.

"Good luck with that," Bella snickered before hopping out of the truck and walking over to Edward. He appeared to give her a short rebuke but then pulled her into his arms and gave her a kiss.

As Emmett stormed over to the truck and flung the passenger door open,
Jackie was pretty sure she wasn't going to get off as easily. She flinched as he slammed the door shut with an incredible force. Pulling down the driveway, Bella gave Jackie a small wave of confidence. She was going to need it.

***

"All right girls," Alice called, "it's time for bed."

Both girls immediately voiced their disappointment but Alice could not be persuaded. They insisted on having Jasper carry them up to their room and he obliged, surprising even himself. Something felt different when he was around them, like he just knew he would never hurt them. They could be bleeding in front of him and he was positive he wouldn't even be tempted to drink their blood.

Jasper quickly helped tuck them in before going downstairs and cleaning up the mess. Alice kissed Maddie's forehead and then Sofia's. She was about to leave when Sofia grabbed her hand.

"We know who you really are," Sofia whispered. Maddie nodded her head in agreement.

Alice furrowed her eyebrows. "What do you mean?" she asked.

"You're supposed to be the monsters that everyone's afraid of," Sofia replied. "But we're not afraid of you," she exclaimed.

"And why's that?" Alice questioned.

"Because we've met a real monster," Maddie answered nodding her head. Her eyes were wide with all seriousness.

"Do you think Emmett will protect us from the real monsters?" Sofia asked.

"Of course he will," Alice replied. If she could cry, she would have as her heart broke for these two little girls. "We all will," she added. "Now go to sleep," she whispered to them both.

"Your not going to eat us?" Maddie asked before Alice walked out the door.

"What?" Alice laughed at the ridiculous question.

"She means, don't you need some of our blood or something?" Sofia explained.

"No, silly!" Alice laughed again. "We don't eat people," she replied. "We are strictly on an animal only kind of diet," she informed them.

"Oh," Sofia beamed. "That's a relief."

***

The silence was practically unbareable as Jackie and Emmett drove home. Emmett sat silently with his arms over his chest and a scowl across his face. She stole a glance at him and chuckled to herself. He really did resemble a very large pouting toddler sometimes.

"So..." Jackie paused as she searched for a way to lighten the mood, "I get the feeling that you might be upset with me," she joked.

"Hmph," was Emmett's only response as he huffed and rolled his eyes.

Jackie took one of her hands off the wheel. "You know, it really turns me on when your biceps bulge like that," she smirked playfully as she gave his arm a squeeze.

She saw a brief smile flash over his face, but he quickly restored his former scowl.

"Oh come on," Jackie whined as she glanced at him again. "How long are you..."

Suddenly, everything for Emmett seemed to happen in slow motion as a logging truck jack knifed in front of them. As Jackie's truck was mere moments away from impact, Emmett grabbed her seat belt. Using his strength, he yanked it free and grabbed her out from behind the wheel. With a combination of his speed and strength, he burst through the passenger door, holding Jackie close to his chest.

Miliseconds later, as her truck collided with the big rig, the engine and gas tank simultaneously combusted and instantly ignited the entire scene with flames.

Jackie clenched Emmett's shirt with her fists as she buried her face in his shoulder. "I'm sorry," he mumbled over and over. "I'm so sorry," he said again. "You could have died and I was being a douche over something so stupid."

She looked up from his shoulder over at the firey crash, tears streamed down her cheeks.

"It's ok," she whispered before pecking him on the cheek. Sirens could be heard heading towards them and her eyes suddenly widened in realization. "I've gotta get out of here," she said, panic flooding her voice.

"Shouldn't we wait for the cops?" Emmett asked.

"No!" She snapped at him. Running her hands threw her hair, she let out a deep breath as she tried to calm down. "Look, I'll explain later, but if you love me at all, you'll help get me out of here."

Emmett hesitated, wondering what she was really hiding but didn't feel like questioning her.

"Besides, do you want to explain to them how we got out of there," she asked pointing at what was left of the smoldering wreckage, "or should I?"

Emmett thought for a second before finally replying, "good point." He nodded then scooped her up into his arms. Holding her tightly to his chest, he looked down at her and smiled.

"Close your eyes," he instructed and they flashed away.