Chapter 9

It had been a few weeks since the night of the break in. Emmett had been ready to walk in and destroy whoever was messing with his family, but the intruder had already fled.

Nothing seemed out of place, or missing or stolen but Emmett could smell him all over the house. It was especially strong in Jackie's bedroom, which could only mean one thing. Not only did that disgust Emmett but it made him jealous with rage.

One afternoon while Jackie had been at work, Jasper came over and together they tracked the scent for miles. But eventually the trail went cold and they had no other choice but to give up on their hunt.

Since then, Emmett had insisted on spending every moment glued to Jackie's side, except when she was at work. But even then he was never far away and he never missed a lunch break.

The lunch bell had just rung but Jackie was still on the phone. Emmett huffed and rolled his eyes impatiently.

Jackie smiled at his childishness but continued with her conversation turning away from him as she talked. He was wearing a tight gray shirt barley stretching across his massive chest that had it not been unbuttoned might have popped open anyways. Damn he was deliciously distracting she thought as she hung up the phone.

"It's about time," he whined when she finally hung up.

"What," she raised a quizzical eyebrow at him, "worried you're not going to get your afternoon make out session?" she teased.

Emmett looked down at his watch. "No, we've still got plenty of time for that," he grinned.

"Who was that anyways?" he inquired.

"Sue Clearwater. I need to go to the reservation Sunday and help give out the second dose of the vaccine," she explained.

Emmett stiffened. "I don't want you going there," he huffed.

Jackie stared at him for a moment. She was sure this had something to do with whatever was going on between the Cullen's and the Quileute tribe, but she was an adult and nothing they said could turn her against Emmett.

She came around her desk and wrapped her arms around Emmett's waist.

"Look, I love you, but Sue is my friend and those people need immunizations," she said. "You and the girls can have a fun morning together and then I'll be home in the afternoon. Ok?" She looked up at him smiling and batting her eyes.

"Ok?" she asked again giving him a tight squeeze as she rested her chin on his chest.

"Like I have a choice," he muttered under his breath.

"No, but I'd like for you to respect my decision," she replied.

Emmett mumbled something inaudible under his breath before finally huffing out a 'fine'.

"Thank you," Jackie said before smirking up at him. "Now how about we go play doctor in the exam room?"

***
Edward and Bella were sitting at the lunch table with Bella's friends Angela, Eric, Jessica and Mike when Emmett and Jackie finally walked in.

"They're awfully late today," Jessica observed.

Edward snickered as Emmett flashed him a cheeky grin.

"What?" Bella asked, knowing he had heard Emmett's thoughts.

"I'm pretty sure they just finished making out on the exam table in the nurse's station," Edward chuckled.

The whole table looked over at the couple.

"God she's hot," Mike said causing Jessica to roll her eyes.

Emmett tensed, straightening himself to his full height before possessively draping his arm around Jackie. His eyes narrowed as he shot a glaring look at Mike.

"Uh..." Eric paused as he looked over at Emmett, "I think you pissed the big guy off."

"No way," Mike shook his head confidently. "There's no way he heard me," he insisted.

Jackie gave a small wave as they walked up to the table. She was about to inquire how Mike was recovering, when suddenly Alice and Jasper appeared and sat down.

"I've decided to throw a party," Alice beamed. "And Jackie, since you're part of the family now, you're totally invited too," she smiled. "Afterall, how many times are we going to graduate highschool?"

Jasper and Edward shared a sarcastic snicker.

"A party, at your place?" questioned Angela making sure she had heard right.

"I've never seen your house, " Jessica exclaimed.

"No one's ever seen their house," replied Eric.

Edward shot Alice a worried look. "Another party, Alice?"

"It'll be fun," Alice countered.

Bella frowned, "Yeah, that's what you said the last time."

"Well, I think it sounds great, " Jackie replied as Alice appeared to sit back in her chair crushed by her siblings rejection. "You guys should be excited about graduation," Jackie exclaimed. "Carpe diem!"

"Carpet what?" Mike questioned.

"Carpe diem, you idiot," Emmett snickered while rolling his eyes.

Mike gave them a blank stare, still clueless about what Jackie was talking about.

"Wow," Jackie frowned, exasperation in her voice. "Is he serious right now?"

"Unfortunately," Jessica nodded in agreement.

Before Jackie could say anything more, Emmett began tugging on her arm, pulling her towards the exit. If he was lucky, they could get one more "session" in before the bell rang.

"Where are they going in such a hurry?" Mike wondered outloud before taking a swig of his drink.

"I've got to go finish making out with my hot girlfriend," Emmett hollared back at him.

Eyes widening in amazement, Mike spewed soda everywhere.