Chapter Five

Chapter Five

5 Years Ago...

"Mommy! Pupunta lang po ako ng mall!" I shouted as I ran downstairs.

Mommy went out of the kitchen and met me at the living room. She was smiling but her eyes were tired. I also noticed her disheveled look. She was wearing an apron and she was also covered with flour.

"Mommy, ang dungis mo!" I said while laughing at her appearance.

Mommy also laughed. "Don't worry, malapit na akong matapos. Maliligo ako later habang nasa oven yung cake na bini-bake ko," she said. Her brows pulled in. "Sino palang kasama mo pumunta ng mall?" she asked.

Ngumiti ako. "Si Lourd po. But we'll meet na lang sa mall. Galing pa kasi siya ng school."

Mommy smiled. Mukhang kuntento sa sagot ko. "Basta umuwi ka before 6PM ha?" she said before kissing me on my forehead.

"Opo, Mommy! Love you!" I said before turning away from her.

"Love you, too, anak!" she replied.

I stopped midway to the door. I looked back at Mommy and smiled. "I'm sure Daddy will like the cake. But just make sure you put sugar in it, Mommy," I said, teasing her. I always tease her when she bakes for us. One time kasi, nakalimutan niya lagyan ng sugar yung cake na binake niya. It was an inside joke na tuloy sa family.

Mommy laughed before shooing me away.

As the car sped away, I found myself staring at the window. I thought of Mommy and Daddy. They were married for more than 15 years now. But their marriage just gets stronger and stronger as the years go by.

Sana ganyan din ako someday. Even though Daddy was almost always working, he never fails to suprise Mommy and us, his kids. He's the perfect husband and the perfect father. I wish I'd find someone like him.

And si Mommy, she's the perfect wife and mother. She's kind of a balance between a cool mom and a strict mom. She never stopped me from going out as long as I she knows where I was going and who I was going with. But I never went pass my curfew.

I admire them. They're the perfect example of marriage for me. They're so in love and yet they're best friends.

Daddy said I was a reminder of how strong their love is. I was conceived when they eloped 15 years ago. They hid from my Lolo for months.

Daddy said that one day, Lolo kidnapped Mommy. Daddy went to rescue her and when they tried to escape, they got into a car accident.

Mommy said Dad was in coma for months. Daddy didn't know Mommy was pregnant with me. She said she was always talking to Dad about me, his hand placed on her belly. They both said I was the reason he woke up.

"Ma'am Daphne, nandito na po tayo." Napatalon ako sa gulat dahil kay manong. Nandito na pala kami sa mall. I thanked him and said I'll call him na lang later to fetch me.

I roamed around the mall for 45 minutes. Wala pa rin si Lourd. Saan na ba 'yun?

I was about to call him when my phone vibrated, indicating there was a new text message. It was from Lourd.

Daphne, Im soooo sorry! Di ako mkkapunta. Tambak homeworks ko. Sorry tlga. I'll make it up 2 u nxt tym! Promise! Love u!

I blushed when I read the last 2 words of his text message. Gosh, Daphne Reese! Get a grip!