The Call Out

Chapter 1 - The Call Out.

Jenny sighed as she put the folder on her desk and leaned back in her chair. Taking off her glasses she rubbed absentmindedly at her eyes before replacing her glasses and straightening up ready to continue reading. She really didn't know what was worse. Writing reports or having to read the damn things.

She'd just managed to finish the third page when her cell beeped signalling a message. Reaching over the neatly stacked files, she grabbed her phone hoping the message may be a distraction to her current mundane task. She certainly wasn't prepared for what she saw next. Printed boldly on the screen were three words; Gibbs Bethesda Dove. A cold shiver raced down her spine. Dove? She hadn't seen or used that word in this context for well over seven years. She hadn't however, forgotten its significance.

When she and Gibbs had worked together, Dove had been their own personal duress word. A word used only in an emergency, a word which meant 'I need you now'. It wasn't a work code, or something they had used undercover. It was personal. Just between the two of them. If Gibbs was using this word now, something very serious had happened and he wasn't calling her as the Director of NCIS or even as a former agent, but rather as his friend.

Grabbing her purse, keys and cell, Jenny left her office. After giving Cynthia some garbled message about forgotten appointments and being out of the office for the afternoon, she headed to the car park, her mind racing and her heart thumping. What on earth could have happened?

Entering the E.R. Jenny scanned the crowd for a familiar face.

"McGee!"

Heading over to where Tim stood, Jenny couldn't help but notice the paleness of his skin, the shocked, glazed look in his eyes. This wasn't good.

"Where's Gibbs?" she asked

"Director? Um...how...did....?" Tim stammered. Jenny was the last person he had expected to see.

"Where's Gibbs!" repeated Jenny, a little more forceful this time. She didn't have the time or the patience to deal with uncertainties.

"Jen" An all too familiar voice called out to her. Turning she saw his face. What was it? Fear? Confusion? Shock? Well at least he was standing and didn't seem to be injured.

Leaving Tim, she made her way over to him.

"Dove?" she questioned.

Their eyes locked, an all too familiar look that only passes between lovers. A look that asks everything and yet says it all. Gibbs broke away first. Turning, he headed through the door on his left and down the corridor. He didn't need to look back. He knew she would be following. Finding an empty room, he held open the door for her to pass through. Closing the door behind him, he sighed deeply.

"Jethro, you're scaring me. What's going on? We haven't used that word since Paris. I..."

"Jen," he cut her off. "Listen to me. Something happened today out in the field. Something I have no explanation for. I didn't call you here as the Director. I don't want you here as the Director, not until we know more about what's going on. Can you promise me that you can separate yourself from this? Be here only as Jenny Shepherd, no titles?"

"I...but...what...?"Seeing the look in his eyes, she mentally pulled herself up and said more determinedly.

"Yes, yes of course. So, what happened?"

Before speaking, Gibbs looked down at her. He had to trust her on this, he had no choice. "Okay" was all he said.

Looking around the room for the first time since entering, he spotted two chairs. Taking hold of them, he brought them over to where they had been standing. Taking a seat, he indicated that Jenny do the same.