Trouble Brewing

Chapter 18 - Trouble Brewing

By Wednesday, the Gibbs' household was almost back to normal. Tony was feeling remarkably better, and other than a stuffy nose and a slightly lingering sore throat, he was back to his usual self. Gibbs had managed to spend most of Monday night and Tuesday painting Ziva's room and tonight would be her first night sleeping in there.

"I can't wait Daddy," she said excitedly as she bit into her sandwich. "ifs gon be fo muf fa!"

"Don't speak with your mouth full please," Gibbs admonished. "Besides the fact it looks terrible, I can't understand a word you're saying."

She swallowed and repeated, "It's going to be so much fun."

Gibbs smirked and nodded. He looked at the untouched plate in Tony's place and called into the living room.

"Tony, your lunch is here. Turn off the television and come and eat."

When he received no response, he called again, a little more sharply.

"Tony!"

"Yep, coming," called Tony tiredly.

It must be a good show, thought Gibbs, for Tony to pass up food. As the boy wandered into the kitchen, Gibbs noticed that he wasn't his normal cheerful self.

"What's up?" he asked as Tony took his place. He didn't respond but lifted the bread to check the filling.

"I don't want tomato," he said, scowling at the sandwich as if it was the sandwiches' fault for filling itself with the wrong ingredients.

"You normally love tomato," replied Gibbs.

"Yeah, well I don't today," muttered Tony.

"Ok, take it out then," suggested Gibbs.

"But everything's all soggy," Tony retorted, sitting back and crossing his arms.

Gibbs sighed. Given the fact that Tony was still recovering, he gave the boy some leeway and said, "Fine, I'll eat that one, I was going to make a second sandwich anyway, and I'll make you a fresh one."

Standing up, he asked, "What would you like on it?"

"Just cheese," grumbled Tony.

Gibbs thought he could at least show some gratitude. It wasn't often he chose to ignore this kind of behaviour.

He quickly made a cheese sandwich and replaced it with the one sitting on Tony's plate. As he did so, he looked pointedly at Tony.

Feeling Gibbs' stare through the top of his head, Tony looked up. Noticing the look he was being given, he dropped his head and muttered, "Thanks."

Before sitting, Gibbs passed Ziva as she popped the last bit of sandwich into her mouth. Stroking her head he asked, "You done?" When she nodded he continued, "Well how about you finish putting away some of the stuff in your room? I'll be up in a minute."

He watched as she placed her plate on the sink and skipped out of the room. Going back to his seat, he sat down and looked at Tony.

"What's up?" he asked.

Tony shrugged and picked at his sandwich.

"Tony, I can't help if you don't tell me what's wrong," Gibbs insisted, moving his chair closer so he could place his hand on Tony's shoulder.

Tony sighed. "I don't remember," he said softly.

"You don't remember what's wrong," asked Gibbs confused.