Little Boy Lost

Chapter 13 - Little Boy Lost

Friday morning Gibbs, Tony and Ziva spent the time sorting out the furniture in the spare room and adding what was needed into Tony's new room. They had managed to shift everything except the bed and wardrobe. Gibbs would need another adult to help with those. The paint was now dry and Tony was eager to spend the night in his new room.

"Not tonight Bud," said Gibbs when Tony asked him if this could be his first night.

'Ohh! Why not?" whined Tony. "The paint's dry."

"Yes, but the smell is still very strong in here," reasoned Gibbs. "You'll wake up with a headache."

Seeing the look of disappointment on Tony's face he relented and said, "How about we make up your new bed in here tonight and you can give it a go. If it gets too much you can come back to your bed in your old room? How does that sound?"

Tony's grin lit up his face. "Thanks Bo...Dad," he said.

It was the first time Tony had called Gibbs that since their talk the previous afternoon and it made Gibbs surge with pride to hear it.

As Tony headed back into his old room, Gibbs mumbled under his breath, "You two are seriously turning me soft. Jen'd have a field day."

Following Tony, he was just about to grab the pile of clothes Tony had pulled out of the wardrobe, when they heard a knock at the door.

"Hey, that might be your mattresses being delivered," said Gibbs, heading out the room and down the stairs. As he opened the door, he was greeted by two large men, each hidden behind a plastic covered single mattress.

"Two mattresses for Gibbs?" the larger of the men spoke.

"Thanks," replied Gibbs. "Just bring 'em in here and lean 'em up against the wall." Gibbs signed the delivery sheet and the two men left. He was just about to lug one of the mattresses upstairs with Tony's eager help when there was a second knock at the door.

He looked at Tony who shrugged and said, "Maybe it's that fart proof sheet I tried to order."

"God, don't remind me," groaned Gibbs.

Tony stepped up to open the door when he noticed the shiny new lock now attached. "Hey, when did that go on?" he asked, his hand still gripping the handle.

"Last night while you two were sleeping," replied Gibbs. "Are ya gonna open the door or what Tony?"

"Yes! I'm just taking note of your magnificent handiwork." He opened the door and exclaimed. "Hey it's McGeek!" He stepped aside but on seeing Tim looking at the mattresses, he retorted, "Welcome to Hotel Gibbs, where the food is cheap, the children are annoying and the owner is a grumpy old man who makes you carry your own mattress. Just take your choice and head on up, first door on the left."

"Ignore him McGee," grumbled Gibbs, rolling his eyes at Tony. "Come on through."

They headed into the kitchen and Gibbs refilled the coffee machine. Then all three of them sat down at the table. "So what brings you here?" asked Gibbs looking at Tim.

"Well," began Tim, "The Director told me to finish up this morning so I thought I'd come around and see if you needed a hand with anything?"

"Finish up?" repeated Tony. "Did you get fired? Ahh," he said, mock realisation dawning on his face. "Did they finally find out you've been hacking into the pentagon and stealing secrets for your new book, McHemmingway?"

"No Tony," replied Tim with the usual exasperation he reserved only for Tony. "Didn't Gibbs tell you?"

"Gibbs talk? Speak words? Wash your mouth out Probie!" replied Tony flippantly.