Puzzles, Playgrounds and Pranks, Oh My!

Chapter 7 – Puzzles, Playgrounds and Pranks, Oh My!

"Stop it Tony!"

"I only want to see what ya doing!"

"It's private. Now go AWAY!"

Gibbs suddenly became aware of voices arguing as he slowly rolled over and squinted at the clock. 05.10! What the hell were they doing up so early. He rolled back and closed his eyes, hoping he had only imagined the argument.

"It's my room too Zee-vah!"

Nope, he hadn't imagined it. Dragging himself up, he padded into the bedroom up the hall.

"Do you two have any idea what time it is?" he grumbled as he entered the room.

Ziva was sitting cross-legged on the floor in the corner of the room, her back to the door and huddled over something she was hiding from Tony. He was standing behind her obviously trying to figure out what she was doing.

Both children looked up as he spoke.

"Around zero five hundred," replied Ziva simply.

"Five ten to be exact Ziva," retorted Gibbs. "And it's Sunday morning. Why are you up so early?"

"This is not early Gibbs," scoffed Ziva. "I am always up at this hour."

She turned back to whatever it was she had been doing.

"She woke me Boss," interjected Tony, not wanting to be in trouble so early in the day. "I don't normally rise before ten on a Sunday." He added for good measure.

Hearing a distinctive slicing sound coming from the direction of Ziva's back, Gibbs' curiosity was also awakened.

"What are you doing Ziva?" he asked strolling over to her.

Hunching over her activity, Ziva replied, "Nothing Gibbs."

Suddenly suspicious of her feigned innocence, he responded, "Doesn't sound like nothing to me. Come on, let's see it."

Rolling her eyes in frustration, Ziva held up, in her left hand, a few pieces of rope for him to see.

"It's just rope!" she stated.

His attention however, was drawn to her right hand which was stuffed in her lap obviously hiding something else.

"Other hand?" he demanded.

He watched as she drew her knees together and slowly lifted her empty right hand for him to see.

"See it's nothing," but he couldn't help noticing she wouldn't meet his eyes.

"Stand up!" he ordered.

This time she did look up at him. "Why Gibbs?" she asked.

"Up!" he repeated.

Huffing with annoyance, Ziva slowly stood. As her bottom lifted he could clearly see the sharp kitchen knife and odd remnants of rope sitting in the space where her lap had previously been.

"Shit Ziva! Is that a knife!" exclaimed Tony, his eyes widening in disbelief.

Turning sharply to the boy on his right, Gibbs admonished, "What have I told you about language Tony?"

"Sorry Boss, it just escaped. It won't happen again, I promise," Tony babbled.

"No, it won't!" replied Gibbs. He maintained eye contact with the boy until Tony looked away. Then, turning back to Ziva he asked, "Would you care to explain why you have a knife in your possession Miss David and what you were planning on doing with it?"