Mayhem and Memories

Chapter 6 - Mayhem and Memories

The next time Gibbs looked at his watch it was just before 6pm. He had decided to do some sorting in the spare bedroom that Tony and Ziva were now sharing in order to give them more space to move about. Gathering packing boxes of old memories, he had shifted some of them to his room but most of them had been carted down to the basement. Despite knowing that some of the boxes contained old toys or books belonging to Kelly, he wasn't ready just yet to either see them again or to have another child play with them. Besides, he wasn't even sure what cognitive levels either Tony or Ziva now possessed. Were they still capable of reading at an adult level? Did their minds still need adult challenges? He would have to explore those theories later.

As he passed the living room for the fourth time that afternoon carrying his last load of boxes for the basement, he noticed Tony was now glued to the television watching some late Saturday afternoon cartoons. He did consider that maybe they had regresses cognitively as well, but then realised with a chuckle, Tony had probably never out grown watching cartoons.

"Where's Ziva?" he asked looking directly at Tony,

Without shifting focus from the screen Tony replied, "In the kitchen."

Going into the kitchen, Gibbs dumped the boxes he was carrying on the table and saw that Ziva had found some paper and a pen and was intently focused on what she was writing. Craning his neck, he tired to see what was written to ascertain what level of writing skills she still possessed. The writing, although a little bigger than normal due to her smaller hands, was not much different to her adult script. What made him laugh though was the title;

Ways to kill, torture or otherwise annoy Tony

He didn't get chance to see what devious and heinous acts she had managed to scribble down though, as, realising he was there, Ziva drew the paper close to her chest and covered it saying, "This is private Gibbs!"

"Yeah, well you might wanna think carefully before you act on any of those things Miss David." Gibbs suggested as he picked up the boxes and headed to the basement stairs.

"Pfft," huffed Ziva and Gibbs grinned.

On entering the kitchen again, he noticed Ziva had folded the piece of paper and was putting it in the back pocket of her jeans. He decided not to mention it again, unless of course she decided to act upon any of her suggestions. Instead he turned to her and said, "Bath time kiddo!" She simply nodded her head and made her way out of the kitchen and into the living room. As she headed up the stairs, Gibbs turned to Tony and asked, "Bath or shower?"

"Neither," replied Tony still fixated on the TV.

Gibbs followed Ziva up the stairs and called back over his shoulder. "Choose DiNozzo, or I'll choose for you. You've got about ten minutes."

Tony rolled his eyes and continued watching the cartoon.

On entering the room she shared with Tony, Ziva looked around. "This looks wonderful Gibbs. There is much more room than before."

She went over to the closet and opened the doors, taking note that her clothes were hanging on the left. Turning around, she saw Gibbs standing in front of a chest of drawers. He pointed down and explained that the bottom two drawers had her clothes in them. Opening the bottom drawer she saw it contained underwear and sleepwear whilst the drawer above it held t-shirts and sweaters. She ran a finger gently over one of the sparkly t-shirts, touching the embroidered flower on the front.

"Thank you Gibbs," she whispered, and then looked up to meet his eyes.

"Not a problem Kiddo," replied Gibbs. "Now, how 'bout you pick out something to sleep in and I'll get the bath running?"