Food Fights

Chapter 22 - Food Fights

As Tony stood at the counter and ate his sandwich, Gibbs sent a quick text to Jenny;

'All good, safe to return'

He was looking forward to having Ziva back and putting the last twenty-four hours behind them. Looking out the window at the beautiful sunny day, Gibbs felt like a cloud had lifted from their little family. Tony had understood why his actions had been so dangerous and, despite the occasional reaching back and rubbing, he appeared none the worse for wear after his spanking. He certainly wasn't holding a grudge or sulking. He was, in fact, just the opposite. Gibbs was overjoyed to see a return to the cheerful, cheeky Tony. The last few days had been frustrating for everyone, and, just like Ziva, he knew Tony wouldn't stop testing him, but he hoped that he could see that if needed, Gibbs would discipline him in love and not out of anger.

As he put his plate in the sink, Tony said, "I think I might go and watch some tv if that's ok?"

"Sure Bud," said Gibbs. "Do you want to get dressed first?"

"Ahh, no," replied Tony a little awkwardly. "My pjs are nice and loose and don't rub on my butt so much," he said, going red with embarrassment.

"That's fine," said Gibbs smirking. He pulled Tony in for a hug. "It won't last forever you know," he reminded him.

"Yeah, I know," said Tony. "It's actually really strange because when Senior belted me, it hurt so much worse than this but afterwards I didn't feel the same. Like, when you spanked me, I felt really sorry for what I had done and I honestly didn't want to do it again. But with Senior, I just felt angry and hurt and all I wanted to do was find ways to make him suffer. Why is that Dad?" Tony looked up at Gibbs genuinely confused.

"Well," began Gibbs. "I hope it's because you know how much I love you and that I spanked you because I didn't want you to make the same mistakes again. I'm also not angry at you. I certainly don't like the choices you made but I still love you. I think that makes a huge difference. From what you've told me, Senior was often angry and hateful when he hit you and I don't think he thought about how you were feeling. That's not what discipline is about. I imagine you would have felt betrayed and worthless and that would lead to those feelings of hate and anger.

Tony nodded. "When it was over, he would just walk away and leave me there." Tony tightened his arms around Gibbs. "Thanks for staying with me and hugging me afterwards. It probably sounds dumb but that helped a lot."

"It doesn't sound dumb at all Tony," replied Gibbs smiling. "It's exactly what Ziva said as well."

Tony pulled away and looked up at Gibbs. "Where is Ziva?" he asked, thinking of her for the first time.

"Jenny took her out for a while," said Gibbs stroking Tony's head. "I kind of figured you'd choose the spanking and I didn't really want Ziva listening to that. She has some pretty horrible memories around spankings as well."

"We're a bit stuffed up, aren't we Dad?" Tony said referring to himself and Ziva.

"No Tony," said Gibbs firmly. "You are two of the most amazing children I have ever had the pleasure to meet and I love you both so much it hurts sometimes. There's nothing wrong with either of you. We all have things in our pasts that were difficult or sad, but they help to make us into the people we are. And you and Ziva are strong, smart, healthy and beautiful. You both make me smile everyday and I wouldn't trade that for the world. You got that?" Gibbs looked firmly into Tony's eyes.

"Yep," said Tony grinning. "I got that."

"Good," said Gibbs spinning Tony around and kissing him on the head. "Now go and watch some tellie and hopefully Ziva and Jenny will be here soon."