A Battle of Wills

Chapter 15 – A Battle of Wills

Gibbs sat back in his chair and stretched out his legs. Having just finished his second plate of food, he was quite content to relax and digest. The sun was warm, the breeze gentle and the happy sounds of people chatting made the afternoon perfect in his opinion. He smiled as he watched Tony and Tim playing Totem Tennis. Even with a height disadvantage, Tony was winning easily and was making sure Tim was well aware of this.

"Come on Probie!" grumbled Tony "The idea is to hit the ball back. It's tied to a piece of string, how hard can it be!"

"This is a ridiculous game Tony," complained Tim. "What's the point of me hitting it, when you just hit it back the other way unwinding all my hard work."

"You really don't get sports do ya McStatic?" said Tony. "It's a competition. We compete to see who can get the string to either the top or the bottom, in your case the top. Get it?"

"I know what to do Tony," argued Tim, the frustration in his voice evident. "I just don't see the point."

Tony sighed. "Ok, so what do you want to do then?" he asked.

"Why can't we just sit with everyone else and relax?" suggested Tim.

"Because that's bor-ing!" whined Tony. "Come on! Stop being a prob-asaurus, live a little!"

"Yeah, well I'm going to live a little on that chair over there," said Tim, putting down the bat and walking back to the adults.

Tony sighed and, putting down his bat as well, trudged behind Tim and made his way to Gibbs.

"What's up Bud?" asked Gibbs putting his arm around Tony as he leant against Gibbs' chair.

"I'm bored," he complained.

"Young man," began Ducky sitting up in his chair. "When was the last time you participated in a good game of cricket?"

"I'm not sure Ducky," Tony replied. "Probably never?"

"Well then, you haven't lived until you have enjoyed the gentlemen's game." Ducky rose and turning to Gibbs asked, "Do you perchance have a cricket bat in your armoury Jethro?"

"Yeah, he does," said Tony straightening up. "I found it when I was collecting the stuff for the park last week. Hang on, I'll go get it."

And with that, he raced into the house.

Within two minutes Tony was back, cricket bat in hand. "We don't have any wickets though or a cricket ball," he said.

"Not to worry young Anthony," replied Ducky. "All we need are a couple of stout garbage bins and a tennis ball."

"Got those Duck," announced Gibbs getting up from his chair.

"Righto," said Ducky. "Let the match begin!"

Ducky, Tony, Tim and Gibbs set up the game along a large expanse of lawn. Placing the bins about 30ft apart to create wickets, Ducky looked for a couple of sticks to mark makeshift creases for each end.

When he explained what he was doing Tony yelled, "Hang on, I have an idea!" He raced inside and returned shortly with a can of paint and a brush. "We can paint the line along the grass. Is that Ok, Dad?"

He looked to Gibbs for confirmation.

"Fine Tony," agreed Gibbs. "Paint's water based. I'm sure the grass won't mind being purple for a day or two."

The flurry of activity had sparked the curiosities of Jenny, Abby and Ziva who were now standing around eager to join in.

"Abbs, if you plan to play, I'd suggest you take off your shoes," suggested Gibbs. "Otherwise you'll end up on your ass."