Family is Forever

Chapter 27 - Family is Forever

As Gibbs pulled into the driveway, he checked the backseat to ensure the pizzas were still intact. He had been reluctant to have Tony mind them knowing how hungry the boy was but was pleased to see his dire warnings and threats had prevailed. Despite looking at the boxes longingly, Tony had exercised great restraint although had to be spoken to once when he kept opening the top flap to waft the delicious smell around the car.

"Tony, it'll go cold if you keep doing that," said Gibbs as Tony lifted the flap for the third time in as many minutes.

"But it smells so good Dad!" whined Tony. "Can't I just have one slice?"

"No," said Gibbs laughing. "If I say yes, you'll end up eating a whole pizza."

Tony didn't say anything but just grinned. He knew his dad was right.

"Besides," added Gibbs. "It's polite to wait for everyone before you start hoeing in."

When the car had finally pulled into the drive way, Tony was out the door and balancing six pizza boxes before Gibbs even had time to unfasten his seat belt. He unlocked the house door and held it open for Tony before going back to the car and helping Tim into the house.

Tim's arm was now set and, other than a dull ache, he was relatively pain free. The doctor had suggested Tim get it checked after four weeks as the cast may be able to come off earlier. The break had been clean and healing should be quick.

For Tim, if having a broken arm had to happen, the timing of this one had been as perfect as possible. He had just finished his second book and, only yesterday had sent it off to the editors. It would be a good four to six weeks before he needed to do anymore work on it and his ideas and drafts for his third book were in pen and paper. The doctors and nurses had been quite sympathetic to Tim's plight of a broken right arm until he informed them that he was left handed. Tony, too, had been relieved when he heard that Tim's book wouldn't be held up due to the accident. Tim had reassured Tony that this wasn't his fault in any way and between both him and Gibbs, they hoped that Tony had stopped blaming himself.

Once inside, Gibbs and Tony gathered plates and napkins for everyone to use while Tim rested on the sofa. They then put out glasses and, once everything was ready, sat on the sofa with Tim and waited.

"What's taking them so long?" asked Tony, eyeing of the untouched pizza boxes. "All they had to do was pick up some drinks. If they don't hurry up I'm..."

But the sound of a car pulling into the driveway stopped him from completing this sentence.

"Finally!" he exclaimed, rushing to the door and letting them in.

As he opened the door, he wasn't greeting by the girls, but rather Ducky.

"Oh hi Ducky," he said surprised. "I was expecting the girls."

"Sorry to disappoint dear boy," said Ducky good naturedly. "Jethro rang me earlier to say that plans had been changed and we were meeting for team pizzas."

"Yep," said Tony. "Well that's the plan if the girls ever show up!"

"Are you blaming us again?" called a voice from the path outside."I guess you don't want this then?"

Tony looked to see Jenny coming up the drive with an enormous cake box in her hands.

"Um, I didn't say that, it was Dad who was complaining," said Tony grinning.

"I heard that!" growled Gibbs from the living room.

"Tony, you should know by now, it's his eye sight that's weak not his hearing," replied Jenny.