Trials and Tribulations

Chapter 4 Trials and Tribulations

"Come on Abby," whined Tony. "You seriously don't expect me to wear this? Boss? Help me out here!"

"DiNozzo, it's just for an hour or so while we go and pick out some others. Quit whining!"

Striding over to Abby, Gibbs quietly asked "What were you thinkin' Abs?"

Abby at least had the grace to look ashamed before she answered, "You said shirts and jeans, Gibbs. That's a shirt."

"It's got a friggin picture of Elmo on it saying 'Tickle Me'!" yelled Tony. "What kind of ten year old wears this and how the hell did you find it in this size!" Tony was sitting on his newly made bed, bare-chested and arms crossed.

"Hey! Language!" reprimanded Gibbs.

I'm thirty-three Boss!"

"You look ten. And that kind of language shouldn't come out of the mouth of a ten year old."

"But..."

"End of discussion DiNozzo. Put the damn shirt on so we can get in the car." Gibbs was nearing the end of his patience. Shopping was one of his least favourite things to do, and with a five and a ten year old tagging behind, the task had hit an all time low. Thank God Jenny was coming along. Hopefully he could sneak away for a while under the pretence of buying coffee for them both.

"I do not understand all this fuss Tony. My clothes are fine," teased Ziva.

She ran her hands over the pale blue jeans and fingered the flower buttons on her white blouse just to annoy him. She was enjoying seeing her partner in distress. It helped to make up for all the times he had teased her mercilessly.

"You're a girl Zee-vah, you wouldn't understand. And besides, YOU'RE NOT WEARING ELMO!" Tony threw the shirt on the floor and stomped on it.

Gibbs' strode purposefully over to Tony, who visibly flinched in anticipation of a head slap. But, instead, Gibbs yanked the shirt off the floor and held it out to the sulking boy.

"You have to count of three to put this shirt on, or you don't come shopping with us. And this," he shook the shirt in his hand, "will be the only shirt you will have to wear until we get this mess sorted out. Your choice Tony!"

Tony stared at his boss. Was he serious? Surely he wouldn't leave him with just this shirt...

"ONE!"

Hmmm, maybe he would. After all, that second 'b'....

"TWO!"

"Alright, I'll put the stupid thing on. But Abby?" he shouted towards the door where Abby had been watching the interaction. "Payback's a bi.....bummer" he amended quickly seeing the glare Gibbs directed at him.

After Tony had finally put on the shirt with an immense amount of huffing and puffing, Gibbs and Jenny quickly shuffled the two children into the car before any more disasters could arise. The trip was blissfully uneventful and, once the car was parked, Gibbs turned to the two in the back seat.

"Right, ground rules. One, you stay with one of us at all times. Do not leave our line of vision for any reason, got it?" Both children nodded. "I want words," instructed Gibbs.

"Yes Boss"

"Yes Gibbs"

"And two, if you need to go to the head, you ask. If you want to look at something, you ask. If you need anything, you ask. OK?"

"Isn't that just the same as rule one Boss?" asked Tony. Gibbs glared at him. "Yes Boss...need a potty break, I ask. Got it!"

Gibbs continued, "If either one of you breaks these rules, then you will be stuck holding my hand for the rest of the trip."