First Steps

Chapter 11 – First Steps

It was almost fourteen hundred hours before Gibbs opened the front door to his house and stepped in. The first thing he noticed was the all-consuming silence. When he had left the house two hours earlier, Tony and Ziva had been arguing over the puzzle and Jenny was in the midst of making sandwiches for lunch.

As he made his way into the kitchen and flicked on the coffee machine, he wondered if they had all gone for a walk. Returning to the living room, he was just about to lock up his gun in the safe box, when a terrified scream echoed from upstairs. Instinct took over and, before he realised what he was doing, Gibbs suddenly found himself stepping onto the upstairs landing, gun drawn, finger ready on the trigger.

It was only when he heard Ziva say "See, I knew I would find you in less than a minute!" did he take a deep breath, relax his shoulders and re-holster his weapon.

As he continued up the hall, a slight movement from his own bedroom caught his eye. Stopping, he peered into the room and saw the tell-tale sign of the wardrobe's sliding door just closing. Knowing Tony and Ziva were in their room, he deduced it could only be one person hiding in his wardrobe. Deciding he would have a little fun, Gibbs entered his room and, silently closing the door behind him, crept to the window and hid behind the drapes, waiting for Jenny to make the next move.

The unmistakable sound of two children running down the stairs could not have been better timed. Knowing that Jenny would assume the children were looking for her downstairs, he hoped she would reveal herself and follow them. A slight movement in the cupboard confirmed his thoughts. Standing perfectly still, he waited while her fingers pushed the sliding door open and she emerged from within its confines.

Too concerned with her task of tracking the children, she was neither physically nor mentally prepared for the surprise attack that ensued. Just as she tiptoed passed the window, Gibbs lunged forward and grabbed her around the neck, covering her mouth with his hand. However, not for nothing was Jenny Shepherd one of the best NCIS agents Gibbs had ever worked with. Whilst the attack may have caught her off guard, her reactions were immediate. Biting down hard on the hand at her mouth, she thrust her elbow backwards winding her assailant while her high heeled boot slammed heavily onto his foot.

Emitting a pained shout, Gibbs fell backwards onto the bed, one hand at his ribs, the other, now bleeding from the penetrating bite mark, trying to grasp his throbbing foot.

"Oh my God, Jethro!" exclaimed Jenny when she saw who her attacker was. "What the hell are you doing here?"

"I live here Jen," Gibbs gasped, still reeling from the hit to his stomach. "I see you haven't lost ya touch! Geez Jen, thank God ya weren't aiming lower!"

"Yeah, well I learnt from the best," replied Jenny trying desperately not to laugh. She moved forward to get a better look at the damage she had inflected.

Gibbs flinched.

"Coming in for a second attempt are ya?" he asked warily. "What, didn't do a good enough job the first time?"

"Don't be such a baby Jethro," she said, grabbing his bleeding hand. "Let me see if you need stitches."

"It's fine," growled Gibbs. "Don't fuss."

"What? Afraid of what the medical staff might say when you try and explain your injuries?" she replied smirking, enjoying his discomfort.

With no retort forthcoming, Gibbs glared at her instead.

"Well, let's at least get an ice-pack on it," she suggested grabbing his hand and all but dragging him out the room and down the stairs.

Leading him into the kitchen they found Tony and Ziva in the throes of searching for Jenny. Looking at them she remarked, "I appreciate the flattery guys, but do you really think I'm thin enough to hide behind the fridge?"