Chapter 13: Jessica, Rose, and Mr. Smith

3rd Person's P.O.V.
Sherlock was aiming the pistol down at the bomb jacket. As he and Jim Moriarty stared at each other, the introduction to The Bee Gees' song "Stayin' Alive" began to play. Sherlock and John looked around, confused. Sherlock looked at John then back at Jim. Jim briefly closed his eyes and sighed in exasperation.
"D'you mind if I get that?"
" No, no, please. You've got the rest of your life." Sherlock said. Jim took his phone out from his pocket and answered it.
"Hello? ... Yes, of course it is. What do you want?" Jim talked into his phone. He mouthed 'Sorry' to Sherlock, who sarcastically mouthed 'Oh, it's fine' back at him. Jim rolled his eyes as he listened to the phone, before turning away from Sherlock for a moment. Then he spun back around, his face was full of fury.
"SAY THAT AGAIN!" Jim yelled into his phone. The pool roared with his voice. Sherlock frowned in confusion.
"Say that again, and know that if you're lying to me, I will find you and I will ssssskin you." Jim said venomously into the phone while he made hand gestures. Sherlock glanced at John before looking back Jim.
" Wait." Jim lowered the phone. He began to walk forward towards Sherlock and John. Sherlock looked at the bomb jacket and fretfully adjusted the grip on his pistol as Jim approaches. Jim stopped at the jacket and gazed down at the ground thoughtfully for a moment before he lifted his eyes to Sherlock's.
" Sorry. Wrong day to die."
" Oh. Did you get a better offer?" Sherlock said casually. Jim looked down at his phone.
" You'll be hearing from me, Sherlock." Jim said as he slowly turned and started to walk away. Sherlock put both of his hands back on the pistol as Jim strolled back around the pool towards the door through which he originally came while he lifted the phone to his ear again.
"So if you have what you say you have, I will make you rich. If you don't, I'll make you into shoes." Jim talk into the phone. As Jim reached the door, he raised his free hand and clicked his fingers. Instantly all of the lasers focused on Sherlock and John disappeared. As Jim walked through the door and vanished from sight, Sherlock looked around the pool but couldn't see any sign of the retreating snipers. John breathed a relieved breath.
"What happened there?" John said, still sitting against the changing cubicle.
"Someone changed his mind. The question is: who?" Sherlock looked over his shoulder at John.
Sherlock and John pulled up in front of 221b Baker Street later that night. Sherlock jumped out of the cab, leaving John to pay the bill. Sherlock raced through the door and halfway up the stairs before he remembered something, or someone.
He jumped down the stairs and went to Mrs. Hudson's door. He went through without knocking, and saw what he was looking for on the couch. He a ghost of a smile slid across his face before he bent down and slowly pulled the sleeping girl into his arms.
John was just coming through the door when Sherlock came through Mrs. Hudson's door with Jenny in his arms.
John said nothing as Sherlock past him and proceeded to run up the stairs. John followed slower up to the flat. Sherlock took Jenny to his room and put her on his bed. He covered her with her blanket and started out of the room. He was about to shut the door when Jenny spoke, well mumbled.
"....helping me with Cosmic Sciences." Sherlock looked back at her. She was smiling and curled up into a ball. Sherlock closed the door and left Jenny alone.
It was now about two years later, May 30th, 2012. Jenny's birthday had passed twice and she was now 6 years old. There weren't any parties or big fuss. A few people, like John, Molly, Mrs. Hudson and surprisingly Mycroft (she FINALLY remembered his name), had gotten her small presents. She had grown quiet attached to her new family, even some of the police officers that that Sherlock had worked with. Her favourite officer was a new officer that had only recently joined. Her name was Jessica Pond and she had pretty red hair. Jenny always liked going to the police station after school just to talk with her, even Sherlock got along with her. Well not as much as John or Molly, but definitely better than Anderson or Donovan. Jenny could tell that there was something that Jessica wasn't telling her, but lots of grownups didn't tell entire truth all the time.
Jenny had skipped kindergarten and the first grade and she had just finished the second grade early. Sherlock and John had been solving cases, even Jenny had helped a few times. John had become more lenient about letting Jenny come to crime scenes and letting her help.
Jenny's P.O.V.
John was sitting at the table in the living room updating his blog on his laptop. Daddy, who was wearing a red dressing gown over his shirt and trousers, was standing on the other side of the table drinking from a mug while leafing through a newspaper. I was sitting at the coffee table in front of the couch working on a packet that Uncle Mycroft gave me. He said it was to find out how smart I was (I personally thought it was pointless but he made me do it anyways). He was going to make Daddy help me, but I wanted to do it on my own.
"What are you typing?" Daddy said not looking up. I looked up from my packet, because frankly it was boring, and looked at Daddy and John.
"Blog." John replied.
"About?"
"Us."
"You mean me."
"What about me?" I looked up at them.
"Of course, you're in there. Right John?"
"Yeah, of course. I'm writing about you too, Jenny." I looked at them suspiciously.
"Good." I went back to my packet and they went back to their conversation.
"Why?" John asked daddy.
"Well, you're typing a lot." That was true, he was typing a lot, but I didn't understand why daddy assumed it was all about him. Then the doorbell rang.
" Right then." Daddy walked toward the door, "So, what have we got? Over a period of many weeks, people were coming to 221B to consult with Daddy. Each of them sat on MY FAVOURITE dining chair facing the fireplace as he or she spoke. John in his chair while I sat in daddy's. Daddy always stood in the corner of the room
"My wife seems to be spending a very long time at the office." 'I'm sorry for you' I thought for the blondish man in a tan coat sitting in front of me.
"Boring." Daddy said as he walked away.
" I think my husband might be having an affair." 'Most likely.' This time it was a plump woman with brown hair.
" Yes." Daddy said before he walked away.
"She's not my real aunt. She's been replaced – I know she has. I know human ash." 'Dude, you're creepy.' A man, who kind of looked like uncle fester from Addams Family, was holding a funeral urn. I sat next to John for this one.
"Leave." Was all daddy said, from behind the man, while pointing to the door.
"We are prepared to offer any sum of money you care to mention for the recovery of this fine art." 'Boring, where's the mysterious murder?' A businessman was sitting in the chair while two more stood behind him. They all had brown hair and suits.
"Boring." Daddy said before the man even finished his sentence.
"We have this website. It explains the true meaning of comic books, 'cause people miss a lot of the themes." 'Okay, that sound interesting, but what's your problem?' This time it was 3 nerdy teenagers. The 2 that were standing were wearing sweaters, and the one sitting was wearing a graphic T-shirt.
Daddy was already walking away, disinterested, when the sitting nerd frantically said, "But then all the comic books started coming true." 'Oh, now that's really interesting.'
Daddy walked backwards toward his spot, " Oh. Interesting."
While daddy and John went out to investigate, I had to talk with Mycroft. I was not very happy, I really wanted to go on the investigation. It was very boring, being with Mycroft, and all we talked about was school and how it was supposed to help my future. But when I grew up, I wanted to be a traveler. Someone who would go to distant lands and come back a hero. That's what I liked to think my birth parents were doing, going out to save people and coming back a hero for me. I hated the idea of planning out my future; I just thought that I was ready for anything and would take on anything as I went.
Mycroft took me to get some lunch at a small café before he had the driver take us to Paddington Street Park, the park we always visited when we had to talk.
The drive was a quiet one. Neither I nor Mycroft talked. Even though I have been living with Daddy and John for a couple of years, I don't really ever see my uncle Mycroft that often. We only talked about every 2 months. John sort of explained it to me why it was like that; he said it was because Mycroft and daddy didn't get along together. I thought that if I had a sibling, that I would spend as much time as possible with them. But I had seen them together and they really didn't along very well.
When we got to the park, Mycroft lead me to the play toy and let me go off on my own.
"Thank you, Mycroft."I gave him a hug around his legs before I ran off to the toy like I always did.
"Stay where I can see, alright?" He yelled after me.
"Okay, Mycroft."
I was going down the slide when I heard a familiar voice.
"Oh, come on Rose. Not everything has to be an adventure." I've heard this man's voice before. It was the nutter who said he was 900 years old 2 years ago. I looked towards Mycroft to find him on his phone. I followed the voices to find the same brown-haired man talking to the same blonde woman. They both looked exactly the same as the day I saw them before. The man was wearing a dark purple v-neck shirt and a leather jacket while the girl was wearing a pink jacket and denim jeans.
"What's the date?" asked the teenager.
"Oh, it's about June 2012." Said the man. Every knew that, why didn't he give her the actually date.
I watched them walking and talking until the man saw me again. I gasped and ran in the opposite direction as fast as my black converse would carry me. I thought I had lost them when I turned the corner and ran right into something or someone.
"'D'you care to tell us why you were spying on us?" the blonde asked me as she folded her arms.
"Calm down, Rose. She's just a child." The man said to the girl. He knelt down in front of me and smiled. "But she's right, you know. Can you tell me why you were listening in and what your name is?"His voice was sort of soft, but had an authority tone to it as well. Now that I had gotten a better look at him, he looked familiar, not from the time he was talking in the street, but from somewhere else. Then it hit me, he was in some of my drawings.
"My name's Jenny and I recognized your voice from when you two were talking on the street. 2 years ago, You said you were 900 years old. By the way, that's impossible. But then I remembered where I had seen you somewhere before." Both the man and the woman were looking at me strangely as I pulled my bag from my shoulders and put it on the ground in front of me. I pulled out my folder of drawings and took out a picture of the man. It was a picture the man in front of me and 3 other men. They were all surrounded with what looked like stardust.
"I've seen you in my dreams, but not a lot of them. and why don't either of you look any older?" The woman, I guess her name was Rose, gave me a strange look before looking at the picture in the man's hands.
"It's a nice drawing, where'd you learn to draw like that and do you have anymore?" he smiled at me
"From my daddy, my real one, not the one I'm living with now. Here you go. And you didn't answer my question, why don't you look older?" I gave him my folder and watched him look through it.
"So where's your daddy if you're not living with him?" Rose asked with empathy in her voice as she knelt beside the man.
"Don't know," I shrugged, "I can hardly remember either of my parents. One day I woke up and I was in a new house with a new daddy. I do remember some things about my parents, like their birthdays and sort of what they look like, but that's about it. I'm sorry sir, but I forgot to ask you for your name and please answer my question." The man seemed unfazed by my story while Rose looked like she was about to cry.
"Uh, sorry, I'm John Smith and this is Rose Tyler. We don't look older because some people don't look older while others do. How old are you Jenny?"
"My uncle's name is John. I'm 6 years old. My other uncle Mycroft says that I'm smart for my age."
"He's probably right, but where is Mycroft now Jenny? Isn't he supposed to be watching you?" Mr. Smith was looking right at me with a sort of anger in his eyes.
"He was looking at his phone when I left the slide to find you two. He works for the government, that's how my daddy adopted me. Mycroft filled out a bunch of paper and had daddy signed it."
"He should be watching you instead of his phone." Rose said, also a little angry.
"He was, that was the first time he looked away." I said trying to defend Mycroft. He may not have been the best uncle, but he was still my uncle.
"Come on Jenny, let's go find your uncle." Mr. Smith, a little calmer, stood up and took my hand. Rose followed his actions and we were walking through the park, looking for Mycroft.
"What does your uncle look like?" Rose asked.
"He, um, wears a grey suit, and uh, he has kind of reddish brownish hair. Oh, he always carries an umbrella around with him, I don't know why though."
"And you said his name was Mycroft, yeah?"
"Yeah, he should be over there on the bench." Sure enough, he was on the bench, but he was talking to a woman.
Jessica's P.O.V
"Oh, Mycroft. You really should keep a better eye on Jenny. One of these days, she's going to be kidnapped and it's going to be on your hands." I stood there talking to Mycroft when a heard a yell from behind me.
"Jessica!" I turned around just in time to find myself on the ground with a 6 year-old on top of me. I smiled as I remembered what it was like to be her and to have such a fun friend I could tackle to the ground. The only thing I really didn't like was when she touched me, only because it created a small paradox. It didn't harm the universe in anyway but as a Time Lord, it just gave me a small headache.
"See Jessica, she's just fine."
"Yeah, I can see that." I groaned as Jenny got off me and helped me sit up.
Jenny's P.O.V.
"Yeah, he should be over there on the bench." Sure enough, he was on the bench, but he was talking to a woman.
I let go of Mr. Smith's hand as I ran toward the familiar red head.
"Jessica!" She turned around just in time to see me before I tackled her to the ground. I saw Jessica smile before Mycroft spoke up from the bench.
"See Jessica, she's fine."
"Yeah, I can see that." Jessica groaned as I jumped off her and helped her up. She was rubbing her head when Mr. Smith and Rose caught up with me. Now Rose was holding my folder as Mr. Smith knelt down beside Jessica.
"Excuse me miss, are you alright?" Mr. Smith hadn't seen her face has he helped her up.
"Yeah, Yeah. I'm alri..." Jessica stopped talking when she saw who was helping her up. They both smiled and hugged each other. Mycroft sat on the bench watching the whole thing as I stood there by him. Roes didn't look fond of Jessica.
"Jessica, why are you hugging Mr. Smith?" I asked as they broke the hug.
"Because Jenny," She knelt down to my eye level, "Mr. Smith is an old friend of mine that I haven't seen in a while."
"Okay. Hey, you know what we should do?"
"I don't know, what?"
"We should go get milkshakes." I smiled as big as I could to try and convince her. Mr. Smith and Rose were having their own conversation and Mycroft was checking the time.
"I really wish I could, but I was on my way to work when I stopped to talk to Mycroft." My smile had fallen off my face, "But how about you take Mycroft to get some? My treat." Jessica smile as I eagerly nodded my head.
"Don't worry about it Jessica, I'll get her one. Come on Jenny, it's time to go." I took Mycroft's hand and practically dragged him to his car, but not before I waved goodbye to Jessica, Rose, and Mr. Smith.