Chapter 15: Fish Fingers and Custard

A few days later, Daddy and John were walking across the stage of the theatre while police officers were wondering around

" So, what's this one? "Belly Button Murders"?" Daddy commented as the drew nearer to me. I could hear them down the hall, I was standing next to Lestrade.

"The Navel Treatment"?" I heard John reply.

'Mmm" They walked backstage and met up with me and Lestrade. They continued walking and Lestrade and I walked with them on our way to the exit.

"There's a lot of press outside, guys." He was telling me about it before daddy and John came over.

" Well, they won't be interested in us." Daddy said

"Yeah, that was before you were an internet phenomenon. A couple of them specifically wanted photographs of you three." 'Three? Why would they want pictures of me?'

"For God's sake!" Daddy glared at John. John slipped a smile as we walked on. Then Daddy spotted some costumes on a rack just inside a nearby dressing room, so he walked in and grabbed three hats for us.

" John, Jenny, "He tossed a cap at him and a fedora at me, "Cover your faces and walk fast." I put on the hat and it fell over my face. It felt like something I had done before.

"Still, it's good for the public image, a big case like this." Said Lestrade.

" I'm a private detective. The last thing I need is a public image." Daddy replied smartly. He put on the other hat that he had picked up, a deerstalker, and headed out the exit door. He pulled the hat as low as possible over his eyes and tugged the collar of his coat up. I just his underneath my hat and walked out behind him and John followed me. Outside, photographers started taking pictures of us.

Later on, some of the pictures had been used in many different newspapers with stupid headlines such as "Hat-man, Robin, and Hat-girl: The Web Detectives" , "Sherlock Net 'Tec", "Sherlock , John & Jenny: Blogger Detectives" and "Sherlock Holmes: net phenomenon". I don't know why they were even crediting me, I didn't do anything really.

About a week later, I was coming home from school ( Jessica had brought me home on her way to work) when I heard Mrs. Hudson upstairs. I was about to go into the kitchen when I heard her.

"Oh, thumbs." Then I heard a thump like she had just dropped them back into the fridge. I started to go into the kitchen again when this time an overweight man passed me and went into the flat. I quickly followed him into the flat. Mrs. Hudson sat there in the kitchen wide-eyed at the man.

"The door was ... the door was ..." He started to breath heavily, then he collapsed onto the floor. Mrs. Hudson stared at him for a moment and then looked back up at me.

"Boys, you've got another one!"

"Ooh!" Mrs. Hudson exclaimed after seeing the unconscious man.

About an hour later, the man (whose name was Phil) had regained consciousness and was sitting on a dining chair facing the fireplace with a rather blank stare in his eyes. John and I were sitting on the sofa behind him and Daddy was pacing in front of him.

"Tell us from the start. Don't be boring." Daddy said.

Phil started telling us about what had happened 14 hours earlier. Somewhere out in the countryside, Phil's car had broken down. He had tried to start the engine for the tenth time but it just refused to start. He had gotten out to check under the hood. He had looked around to see if there was anyone who could've helped him. He saw a man in a red jacket in the nearby field. So Phil had decided to try and start his car once again. That time the car had backfired and when Phil looked across the field again he saw that the man in the red jacket was now laying on the ground. He got out of his car and called for him. When the man didn't respond, Phil started to walk closer to him. At one point he had realized that the man was dead. Then he called his local police and got to our flat as quickly as he could.