Chapter 24: The Reichenbach Fall

Dad and John hadn't really come home for the next few days, and I was getting worried. I was spending sometime with Mrs. Hudson as one of the new tenants who was bald and had many tattoos was helping her drill a hole. Suddenly John rushed towards us out of nowhere giving us both a fright.

"Oh, God, John! You made me jump!" She said as she placed a hand over her heart. John looked at us in confusion.

"But ..."

"Is everything okay now with the police? Has, um, Sherlock sorted it all out?" She asked hopefully. John stared at her for a moment before he seemed to realise something.

"Oh my God." He said softly before he turn around and ran outside and I quickly followed him. He spotted a cab and yelled taxi.

"Taxi!" He yelled again as he ran across the road towards it with me close behind. There was another man there that had hailed telling the cabbie where to go as John scrambled around to the rear door.

"No, no, no, no, police! ... Sort of." He said as I got in.

"Oh, thanks, mate – thanks a lot!" The man walked angrily away.

"You should've stayed with Mrs. Hudson, Jenny." John said after taking a moment to really realise that I was there.

"Well, it's too late for that. Sorry John." I mumbled.

"It's okay." He wrapped his arms around my shoulders and hugged me into his side. We were sitting anxiously waiting to arrive at St. Bart's.

We jumped out of the car and started running towards the entrance when John got a call and answered it.

"Hello?" He said as he took my hand.

"John." I could hear dad on the other side.

"Hey, Sherlock, you okay?"

"Turn around and walk back the way you came now."

"No, we're coming in." John said sternly.

"Just do as I ask. Please." Dad sounded panicked.

"Where?" We turned around and started walking back the way we had come.

I couldn't hear dad speaking until he told us to abruptly stop.

"Stop there."

"Sherlock?" John looked around.

"Okay, look up. I'm on the rooftop." I gasped as I turned around and saw dad standing on the edge of the building. John's face filled with terror as he looked at his best friend.

"Oh God." John whispered..

"I ... I ... I can't come down, so we'll ... we'll just have to do it like this." I had never heard dad stutter before, he was always so confident.

"John, please make him come down." I tugged on his arm and he looked down at me with a bit of sadness.

"What's going on?" John looked back up at him anxiously.

"An apology. It's all true."

"No, it's not daddy!" I screamed, hoping that he could hear me through the phone.

"Wh-what?" John gasped.

"Tell Jenny that it is. Everything they said about me. I invented Moriarty." Dad looked behind him for a moment before looking back at us. I didn't realise how tightly I was hold John's hand until my fingers started aching but I still didn't let go.