Chapter 22: Sneaking out

Jenny's P.O.V.

I liked going to my new school, the students there actually liked me and I was able to learn something for a change. I especially loved the meals there, the chips were amazing! The only thing I hated was that we had to wear uniforms there.

Recently Dad had been making sleep over at Jessica's flat a lot more lately. He had been acting strange for a while now, he barely talked to me anymore; he just played his violin as he stared out of the window. John was acting strange too, he never talked about anything but me. Something was going on with them, something big and bad, and I was gonna figure it out.

"Jessica?" I called through her flat. One of the officers had dropped me off after school. I looked around her flat for her quietly.

I knocked her door softly and when I got no response I opened it slowly. I saw something that I didn't expect; Jessica was asleep on her bed. I'd never seen her sleep before. But I guess that it wouldn't make sense if she didn't.

I looked at her for a few moments. It had been a few months since she came back, and she was still a little injured. She looked so different, she wasn't the happy police officer; she looked like a scared little girl that would break if you touched her all bundled up in her covers.

I quietly closed the door and went back out to her living room. I was about to set down my bag when I was hit with a sudden idea; I could go see what dad was hiding at the flat while Jessica was asleep.

I sat there for a minute thinking before I checked that Jessica was soundly asleep and quietly snuck out of her flat. I felt my heart pounding in my chest as I looked around at the busy street. I took a deep breath and considered I quickly walked home, walking next to couples so I wouldn't look like I was on my own.

I quickly stopped walking behind an older couple when I reached 221b and opened the door quietly. I heard some voices coming from upstairs. I placed my school stuff at the bottom of the stairs so it wouldn't make any noise. Then I carefully walked up the stairs slowly, trying to avoid the creakiest parts of the stairway. Il was breathing softly through my mouth, something dad taught me to do.

I crept noiselessly up to the door to the flatt. I carefully placed my ear to it in time to hear John speak.

"It would help if you were a tiny bit more specific."

"So you faked your own death in order to get ahead of them." Dad said, making me confused. Who would fake their death?

"It worked for a while." A female voice that I didn't recognise spoke.

"Except you let John know that you were alive, and therefore me."

"I knew you'd keep my secret."

"You couldn't."

"It's not here. We're not stupid." John butted in.

"Then what have you done with it? If they've guessed you've got it, they'll be watching you." The woman said.

"If they've been watching me, they'll know that I took a safety deposit box at a bank on the Strand a few months ago." Dad replied. From what I was picking up, the woman was a client of sorts, and had been for awhile now. She was probably the reason that they were acting strange.

"I need it."

"Well, we can't just go and get it, can we?" John started. "Molly Hooper. She could collect it, take it to Bart's; then one of your homeless networ-" I didn't hear the rest of what he was saying because I heard the door below me open. I looked over the banister to see Jessica smirking up at me. She put her finger to her lips before motioning me to come down.