Chapter 26: Doctor's Visit

(This is really long, and mostly Jessica's P.O.V.)
Jenny's P.O.V.

"So I was waiting for you at your school, did you walk or get a ride home?" Jessica asked as she walked into the flat.
"I walked."
"I know. One of your teachers, Mr. Smith, told me you left during lunch hour. You could've called me, I would've come pick you up." She smiled as she stood by the door.
I nodded my head.
"So Mycroft called and said he'll have a car stopping by in a few minutes to take you out, so why don't you go change?" I got up off the couch and went to my room to change. When I was done, Anthea was standing in the living room on her phone waiting for me.
"Be good Jenny and don't give your uncle too much trouble." Jessica gave me a hug before I followed Anthea out.

Jessica's P.O.V.

I pulled my jacket on as I heard someone knock at the door.
"Coming!" I pulled open the door, expecting to see dad but was greeted by John instead.
"Oh, hey John, what are you doing here?"
"Um, I'm here for Jenny. I was supposed to watch her tonight, remember?"
"Oh yeah, why don't you come in. She's with Mycroft right now, but I'll get you her stuff."
"Alright." He smiled as I moved out of his way so he could come in.
"Just give me a minute." I smiled and went to get Jenny's overnight stuff.
"So, uh, Jessica. Who are these people?" John was looking at a picture I had of Rullana and the kids on the wall.
"Oh, um, that's my husband Stanley, and my kids Lily and John. Why?"
"I thought I saw you walking with them the other day, it I've never seen them before."
"Well, that's impossible because they died a couple years ago. So it wasn't us." I softly said as I looked at the picture.
"Oh, I'm sorry Jessica."
"It's alright-" I was interrupted by a knock before dad walked through the door.
"Are you ready to- oh hello." He turned to John.
"I'm the Doctor, who are you?"
"Hello, I'm John Watson. May I ask, Doctor who?" Before dad could answer with his normal response of 'just the doctor', I interrupted him.
"Dr. John Smith. He's one of Jenny's teachers. He wanted to talk about her progress with me."
"Uh yes, so are you ready to go?"
"Yeah, here John. Everything she needs is in here, have a goodnight." I smiled and waved goodbye. John nodded his head and walked out of the door.
"'Kay, let's get going." I smiled and pulled dad out of the door.

*****

It was now after dark and we were walking through the school. We were looking for dad's companion, Rose, and her boyfriend, Mickey. I wasn't really excited, because the last time I met her, she wasn't particularly nice to me. Soon enough we found them.
"Jessica, Rose and Mickey, Rose and Mickey, this is Jessica. You remember her, Rose, right?" Dad smiled as I shook both of their hands.
"Nice to meet you." Mickey said. "How d'you know the doctor?"
"Oh, I've been traveling with him for most of my life."
"Oh really, why haven't I meet you before?"
"Oh, I have a life outside of him. Actually I'm a detective at Scotland Yard right now." I smiled and pulled my badge out of my coat pocket to show him.
"Wow, didn't know you could have a life outside of the Doctor." He laughed
"Yeah, well it's hard to get rid of him." I laughed with him.
"I feel like I should be offended." I turned around and smiled at dad. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Rose glaring at me.
"You probably should be." We laughed.
"it's weird seeing school at night. It just feels wrong. When I was a kid, I used to think all the teachers slept in school." Rose said.
"All right, team. Oh, I hate people who say team. Er, gang. Er, comrades. Anyway, Rose, go to the kitchen. Get a sample of that oil. Mickey, the new staff are all Maths teachers. Go and check out the Maths department. I'm going to look in Finch's office with Jess. Be back here in ten minutes." He grabbed my arm and pulled me with him.
"What if I wanted to go with Rose or Mickey?" I asked.
"Well, fine then, go. I just thought that you'd want to say hello to our old friend." He smirked.
"Well, why didn't you say so, let's go." I grabbed his hand and pulled him down the corridor to where he told me the Tardis was. Standing in front of the tardis was a familiar figure.
"Hello, Sarah Jane." Dad said behind me.
"It's you. Oh, Doctor Oh, my God, it's you, isn't it. You've regenerated."
"Yeah. Half a dozen times since we last met."
"You look incredible. Jessica, is that really you? My goodness, you've grown. You look absolutely beautiful."
"So do you, Sarah Jane." I smiled at her.
"Huh? I got old. What are you doing here?"
"Well, UFO sighting, school gets record results. We couldn't resist. What about you?"
"The same. I thought you'd died. I waited for you and you didn't come back, and I thought you must have died." She said emotionally.
"We lived. Everyone else died." I said sadly.
"What do you mean?"
"Everyone died, Sarah." Dad said softly. There was a moment of silence before Sarah Jane continued.
"I can't believe it's you." She changed the subject just as we heard a high pitched scream. "Okay, now I can!" Rose came running towards us.
"Did you hear that? Who's she?" She asked dad.
"Rose, Sarah Jane. Sarah Jane, Rose."
"Hi. Nice to meet you. You can tell you're getting older. Your assistants are getting younger." I laughed a bit with Sarah Jane.
"I'm not his assistant." Rose snapped.
"No? Get you, tiger." I rolled my eyes and walked with Sarah Jane.
"Sorry! Sorry, it was only me. You told me to investigate, so I started looking through some of these cupboards and all of these fell on me." Mickey said when we reached him in one of the classrooms.
"Oh, my God, they're rats. Dozens of rats. Vacuum packed rats." Rose said.
"And you decided to scream." Dad snickered.
"It took me by surprise!" Mickey defended himself.
"Like a little girl?"
"It was dark! I was covered in rats!"
"Nine, maybe ten years old. I'm seeing pigtails, frilly skirt." I hit dad in the arm and gave him a warning look even though I was laughing on the inside.
"Hello, can we focus? Does anyone notice anything strange about this? Rats in school?" Rose intergected.
"Well, obviously they use them in Biology lessons. They dissect them. Or maybe you haven't reached that bit yet. How old are you?" Oh, wow. I could feel the tension rising between the two. Normally, I wouldn't have picked sides, but I felt like I had to side with Sarah Jane. Plus, I knew Rose liked my dad which is weird to think about anyone liking my dad like that besides mum.
"Excuse me, no one dissects rats in school anymore. They haven't done that for years. Where are you from, the dark ages?" I was going to say something back, but dad interrupted me before I could.
"Anyway, moving on. Everything started when Mister Finch arrived. We should go and check his office." I huffed and walked away with Sarah Jane.
"I don't mean to be rude or anything, but who exactly are you two?"
"Sarah Jane Smith and this is Jessica Pond. I used to travel with the Doctor.
"I've traveled with him almost my entire life." I smiled at dad and he smiled back.
"Oh. Well, he's never mentioned either of you."
"Oh, I must've done. Sarah Jane. Mention her all the time." Dad said as he scratched the back of his head.
"Hold on. Sorry. Never."
"What, not even once? He didn't mention me even once?" She looked to me.
"Don't worry, we talk about you all the time." I whispered to her.
"Ho, ho, mate. The missus and the exes. Welcome to every man's worst nightmare." I heard Mickey say.
"Oh, you think this is bad. You should see him with my mother, it's absolutely hilarious sometimes."
"Oh joy, can't wait for that to happen." He muttered to himself and Sarah Jane and I laughed. We continued to walk until we reached the headmaster's office. Dad started searching his pockets.
"Jess, where's my screwdriver?" He looked at me accusingly.
"Why do you always assume I took it?"
"Because most of the time it was you who took it."
"Whatever." I laughed and pulled it out of my pocket and unlocked the door from where I was. He rolled his eyes at me before he opened the door.
"Maybe those rats were food." Dad said.
"Food for what?" Rose asked.
"Rose, you know you used to think all the teachers slept in the school? Well, they do." I looked up and saw giant bats hanging from the ceiling.
"No way!" Mickey said and ran away. Dad shut the door and we walked after Mickey out to the school yard.
"I am not going back in there. No way." He said once we got out there.
"Those were teachers?" Rose asked.
"When Finch arrived, he brought with him seven new teachers, four dinner ladies and a nurse. Thirteen. Thirteen big bat people. Come on." Dad said.
"Come on? You've got to be kidding!" Mickey yelled.
"I need the Tardis. I've got to analyse that oil from the kitchen." Dad said.
"I might be able to help you there. I've got something to show you." Sarah Jane spoke up. We followed her to her car and she opened her boot.
"K9! Rose Tyler, Mickey Smith, allow me to introduce K9. well, K9 Mark Three to be precise."
"Oh my gosh, you still have K9! Rullana and I use to love him so much!" I smiled and walked up to the old dog.
"Why does he look so disco?" Rose asked.
"Oi! Listen, in the year five thousand, this was cutting edge. What's happened to him?"
"Oh, one day, he just, nothing." Sarah Jane said sadly.
"Well, didn't you try and get him repaired?" He said accusingly.
"Doc! Be nice!"
"Well, it's not like getting parts for a Mini Metro, Beside, the technology inside him could rewrite human science. I couldn't show him to anyone."
"Ooh, what's the nasty lady done to you, eh?" Dad said in a baby voice.
There was rust around the corners, but other than that he looked just like I remembered him.
"Look, no offence, but could you three just stop petting for a minute? Never mind the tin dog. We're busy."
"Hey, don't talk about my dog like that." I said defensively as I stroked his back. Soon after that, we all got into the car and went to a coffee shop near by.
Rose and Mickey went and sat by the counter while Sarah Jane, dad and I went to a table to fix K9. There was some music playing in the background while dad and I took K9 apart.
"I thought of you on Christmas Day. This Christmas just gone? Great big spaceship overhead. I thought, oh yeah, bet he's up there." Sarah Jane said.
"Right on top of it, yeah."
"And Rose and Jessica?"
"They were there too."
"I was? Cool, can't wait to see what happens up there." I laughed with them.
"Did I do something wrong, because you never came back for me. You just dumped me." Sarah asked. Dad looked up at her before looking back inside K9.
"I told you. I was called back home and in those days humans weren't allowed."
"I waited for you. I missed you."
"I missed you too, Sarah. I always wished that you'd get to come back." I smiled up at her.
"Oh, you didn't need me. You were getting on with your life."
"You two were my life. You know what the most difficult thing was? Coping with what happens next, or with what doesn't happen next. You took me to the furthest reaches of the galaxy, you showed me supernovas, intergalactic battles, and then you just dropped me back on Earth. How could anything compare to that?" I looked up at her knowing exactly how that felt, losing your whole world.
"All those things you saw, do you want me to apologise for that?"
"No, but we get a taste of that splendour and then we have to go back."
"Look at you, you're investigating. You found that school. You're doing what we always did."
"You could have come back." I looked between Sarah Jane and dad.
"I couldn't."
"Why not?" Dad ignored her and focused K9.
"It wasn't Croydon. Where you dropped me off, that wasn't Croydon."
"Where was it?"
"Aberdeen."
"Ha, I told you that wasn't Croydon, dad." I smirked as I started stripping one of the wires.
"Right. That's next to Croydon, isn't it?" Dad said as K9 came back to life.
"Oh, hey. Now we're in business." dad said happily.
"Master, Mistress." K9 said.
"He recognises us." I said as I rubbed his head affectionately.
"Affirmative."
"Rose, give us the oil."
"I wouldn't touch it, though. That dinner lady got all scorched." She said as she handed it over.
"I'm no dinner lady. And I don't often say that."
"I should hope not." Dad took the oil and smeared it onto K9's nose probe.
"Here we go. Come on, boy. Here we go."
"Oil. Ex-ex-ex-extract. Ana-ana-analysing."
"Listen to him, man. That's a voice." Mickey said.
"Careful. That's my dog."
"Confirmation of analysis. Substance is Krillitane Oil."
"They're Krillitanes." Dad looked towards me.
"Is that bad?" Rose asked.
"Very. Think of how bad things could possibly be, and add another suitcase full of bad." I rolled my eyes at his explanation, although it still was very serious.
"And what are Krillitanes?" Sarah Jane asked.
"They're a composite race. Just like your culture is a mixture of traditions from all sorts of countries, people you've invaded or have been invaded by. You've got bits of Viking, bits of France, bits of whatever. The Krillitanes are the same. An amalgam of the races they've conquered. But they take physical aspects as well. They cherry pick the best bits from the people they destroy. That's why we didn't recognise them. The last time we saw Krillitanes, they looked just like us except they had really long necks." I explained.
"What're they doing here?" Rose ignored me and just looked at dad.
"It's the children. They're doing something to the children. Jess, do you remember anything at all that could help us?"
"No, I remember that the teachers were really strict and there were special classes the only the top students got into. I never did though, and I don't remember any of my friends getting into one and telling me about it. Sorry." Dad looked away a bit disappointed.
"What are you going on about?" Sarah Jane asked me.
"I'll explain it all later." After that I help dad get K9 back into the boot of Sarah Jane's car.
"So what's the deal with the tin dog?" Mickey asked Sarah.
"The Doctor likes travelling with an entourage. Sometimes they're humans, sometimes they're aliens, and sometimes they're tin dogs. What about you? Where do you fit in the picture?" She responded.
"Me? I'm their Man in Havana. I'm the technical support. I'm-Oh, my God. I'm the tin dog." He came to the realization.
"Hey, Mickey, you're important. I remember Dad actually telling stories that involved you."
"Dad? Who's your dad?"
"Oh, yeah, sorry. The Doctor's my dad." I laughed
"Wait, what?" Mickey sputtered. "How's that possible? Does that mean you're an alien like him? Who's your mum? Was she an alien too? Please don't tell me it's Rose."
"Um, wow. Don't worry Mickey, Rose is definitely not my mum. He hasn't even met my mum yet. Don't ask, it's complicated. Yeah, my mum was part Time Lord part human, so I'm also mostly Time Lord with a bit of human mixed in." I smiled at him. Suddenly one of the giant bats swooped down from nowhere and we all ducked.
"Was that a Krillitane?" Sarah Jane asked out of breath.
"But it didn't even touch her. It just flew off. What did it do that for?"