Chapter Fourteen

Breathe me-Sia 

And just like that I feel my heart shatter into a million pieces.

“I’m so sorry Hai-“ My mom begins to say but I look at her numbly and she wraps her arms around me pulling me towards her body. She holds me for a while and the pulls away once she realizes I hadn’t responded.

“Hailey” She whispers trying to get something out of me, a word, a movement or even a tear. I don’t dare to look her in the eyes as I just slowly walk up to my room. My facial expression not faltering one bit as I sit straight on my bed taking all of this in.

Her words were permanently engraved into my mind. The sorrow was forever attached to my soul.

“He..He’s gone” She said crying.

Spencer had stayed the night with me, trying to convince me that knowing half of my darkest secret had led him to believe I needed help. I declined of course having to then tell him about my past experiences of trying to get help when Jason had found out. After a while of debate and  him not willing to agree to disagree we ended up falling asleep. But he had left in the morning and this time he let me stay back  at home, and I took this as my chance to finally contact Jason.

“Hey Ms. Reynolds” I say cheerfully into the phone but I only hear a silence on the other end followed by a sharp sob.

“What's wrong?” I ask panicked .

“He..He’s gone” She manages to say through several sobs.

“What-What do you mean?” I ask holding my breath.

“Jason’s dead Hailey! He’s dead!” She says yelling and crying.

“Hailey” She whispers still crying, I open my mouth to say something but nothing comes out.

“He was found in an alley, someone beat him badly and by the time he got to the hospital he was dead” She says crying, and I keep my mouth ajar, my mind fighting for words to come out but the immediate shock blocking them all. 

He can't be. 

“They didnt find who did it” She adds but I knew. 

Spencer.

I hang up on her after managing to get a few words out and promising to come over as soon as I could. I couldn't even fathom what was happening, this isn't real. I saw the ambulence, well I heard them coming when Spencer and Jay finally managed to drag me away. There was no way that he could have died but I couldn't fight the guilty feeling in me when I realized how I hadn't gone to find out if he were okay at all. I had almost forgotten all about it in this big mess. 

“Honey whats wrong?” My mom asks concerned, walking to the seat I was sat in. 

I look down with my eyebrows furrowed, this cant be true. Something didn't add up. 

"Hailey" My mom whispers trying to get my attention.

“Jasons dead mom, someone killed him” I say emotionless .

“What!?” She shouts and I give her the phone to call Ms. Reynolds and find out for herself.

If it were true and Jason was dead, then why would it take this long for the news to get to Ms.R, if he had died on his way to the hospital they would have known immedietly, not two days following. 

Everything was starting to fade, my breathing picking up and my eyes starting to close when I heard my name being called.

“Hailey?”