Chapter Twenty-One

To say things were a bit awkward after the kiss would be a big understatement. I had no idea what I was to him , he didn't ask me to be his girlfriend, which I wasn't exactly expecting but I did think that he would atleast ask me out but he didn't. And here I am now sitting oh so awkwardly between two guys that I don't know.

"The plan is to not attack" Spencer says and everyone looks at him as if he had just grown a second head.

"We only defend if they choose to attack us" He continues. His voice was so rough and raspy I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a wee bit turned on.

"Why wait until they hurt us?!" A guy who's name I learned to be Finn said.

"Because of the off chance of them not wanting war" Spencer says.

"I'm pretty sure that was established when that idiot went and told them your weakness" Jay says and Spencer sighs looking over at me making my heart beat increase drastically much against my liking.

He turns his attention towards Jay once again and whispers something to him.

Jay stands up and walks out the front door leaving everyone confused to say the least.

"He had some business to attend" Spencer says and It seemed like everyone in the room understood but me.

"We need a plan" Spencer says and I tune out the rest, they came up with ideas and shot most of them down though.

It had been 3 days since the kiss and not once have I harmed myself. Not once have I felt as worthless as I used to , not with Spencer constantly reminding me how beautiful he thought I was or how incredibly annoying I was but he still couldn't help but like me. I don't know what it is about him that draws me so close to him, I feel so complete with him, so safe. Yet he was the one that brought danger into my life. But no matter how much I try to blame him for bringing me into this world, the only true danger to me was myself and slowly he seems to be saving me from myself without even knowing.

"Hailey?" Spencer calls and I look up breaking out of my deep thought.

"Uh, yeah?" I ask innocently knowing that the only reason I was down here was for me to know what was going on with the whole gang war thing, but I couldn't concentrate.

"Did you hear any of that?" He says mockingly knowing how easily I get distracted.

"I..Uh, I may have missed a bit of it" I say sheepishly. He smiles warmly and then tells me their plan but something tells me this wasn't the whole plan. They were obviously trying to keep the harsh details from me so I wouldn't freak out.

"Hailey can I speak to you in my room?" He asks and I follow him upstairs. Everyone downstairs had dispersed as well and started doing their own things.

"Sit down" He says softly and I oblige.

"Hailey you know that your mom had let you stay here because she knows it was safer" He says waiting for me to say that I was following so far. I nod my head and he continues.

"Well we weren't sure if it was safe for your mom" He says and I furrow my eyebrows.

"Hailey they'll do anything to hurt me and the only way they can do that is if they take you away from me but I'd never let that happen" He says getting angry at the thought me being taken from him.

"And the only person you love is your mom" He says and I nod.

"Are they going to hurt her?" I ask scared and he shakes his head holding my hand in his.

"Not if I have anything to do with it" He says.

"What do you mean?" I ask

"I sent your mom to live with Jack and Finns parents, they live close to us in a high security house, his dad is a cop and his mom actually works with yours at the hospital" He says and I look down worried. I brought myself into this mess and ended up dragging my mom into it as well.

"Hails, don't worry shes safe now" He says.

"How about me?" I whisper. Lets just say we were facing a life or death situation which will probably happen seeing as we're dealing with 2 gangs. Spencer wouldn't risk his life for me, a girl he just met.

"I'll always protect you if you'll let me" He says pressing his forehead to mine. I close my eyes taking in his words. No one has ever cared for me as much he does, besides Jason but even he couldn't care for me on the level that Spencer does. He barely knows me yet I know he possesses these feelings for me.

"Why didnt you leave me with their parents as well?" I ask timidly.

"Because you're mine and I have to protect you which means having you by my side at all times" He says and I open my eyes looking at him as if he were crazy.

"Okay maybe not at all times" He says chuckling lightly.

"What are we?" I ask bravely. He looks at me for a moment but I couldn't read his expression.

"Whatever you want to be" He says and I let out the breath I was holding and look down at my feet.

He tilts my face, turning my face and bringing it closer to his.

"I'm yours if you're mine" He says and I smile looking into his emerald green eyes.

"I'm yours" I say closing the distance between us again attaching my lips to his.