Chapter Twenty-Nine

Behind the door stood my pathetic excuse of a mother, she stared at me with tears streaming down her face.

It had been pouring rain outside and I was worried she had walked the distance from the hospital all the way home.

But then again, why should I care?

“What do you want?” I ask venomously.

“They showed me the tape, he..he oh my god Hailey he did that to yo-  I didn’t..I didn’t know” She says hiccupping and sobbing.

I show no emotion as I let her into the house to prevent her from drenching any further in the rain.

“Hailey baby if I had known that he was doing that” She pauses as her voice cracks.

I head into the closet and grab her a white towel. I hand it to her without even looking at her, because in all honesty she disgusts me as a mother, as a women and as a human being. It may seem as if I were being a tad bit harsh but the pain that I had gone through the past months, physical and emotional was literally just unbearable.

“Hailey please” She pleads and I look up at her bloodshot eyes.

“Please give me a chance to make it all better, I’m so sorry” She says.

There was an eerie silence for a moment before I spoke.

“No, I’m sorry” I say and there was a look of confusion on her face.

“Hail-“

“NO! NO! DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY NIGHTS I STAYED UP SCARED OUT OF MY DAMN MIND! TERRIFIED THAT HE WAS GOING TO DO SOMETHING TO ME AGAIN” I shout and she looks down.

“Do you know how many times I thought about just leaving and never looking back, but I couldn’t do that because no matter how much pain and suffering he or his friends would put me through, he was hurting me and not you as long as I stayed” I say and she opens her mouth but I put my hand up stopping her from talking. Tears were streaming down my face but it was pointless trying to wipe them away because more would escape my eyes only a second later.

“No matter how hard I tried to hate you, I never could, I had to protect you” I say as my voice cracks.

“You were supposed to protect ME! YOU’RE MY MOM!” I shout my voice cracking and my throat in pain, and at this point I was sure that my neighbours could hear me but I didn’t care.

“You’re my mom” I whisper falling down and sobbing into my knees.

She comes over and places her hand on my shoulder trying to comfort me.

''NO! You don’t get to pretend to care now!” I shout.

“Where were you when I told you about how bad he was, when I warned you?!” I yell.

“Where were you when you heard my screams and cries for help?...I know you heard them mom I know you did” I say and I see the regret and shame in her eyes.

“You never stopped him, and you’re only here now because he’s locked away and gone to rot in prison” I spat.

“I hate you mom I truly do, all you’ve ever done is screw my life up more than it already was” I whisper.

“So I’m sorry, I’m sorry that I won’t be giving you another chance to toy with me and my emotions, and thank you for giving me this insight on life, I’ll never be able to trust anyone ever again.” I say.

“I’m leaving now, and I never want to see you again.” I say looking at her pleading eyes one last time before grabbing my half packed bag and finally leaving the hell hole I was trapped in.