Chapter Nine

Derek

We stood there hand in hand while at least ten men and women circled around us, Will being one of them. I knew I should've listened to Stiles when he told me not to trust Will, but I was so sure that he was trustworthy. That just goes to prove how you can never trust anyone. Stiles lived by that and he was rarely wrong. He wasn't wrong about the woman who led us into a trap either. Maybe I should've just listened to Stiles about everything. 

Stiles gripped my hand as tight as he could, both of us with no intention of letting go. If we were going down, then we were going together. There was no way I would let him get away from me again. I didn't want to have to worry about him being safe. I knew he wasn't safe, but at least he'd be with me. I could do my best to protect him. If something happened, I'd never stop blaming him.

"There is no point in fighting, Derek. Come with us." The man held his gun up, pointed it straight at my head. He wouldn't shoot me, I thought. They obviously needed me for something, so they couldn't kill me. They could, however, kill Stiles. I wasn't letting that happen.

I knew he was right. There were too many to fight, and if I let go of Stiles, I would be risking losing him. I wasn't letting them take him without me. Or maybe they'd let him go. . . "Fine, but you have to let Stiles go," I tried, hoping it would work. I knew Stiles wouldn't like the idea, but I didn't care. 

Stiles looked over at me, his eyes wide. He acted like that was the worst idea I've ever had. "Derek, no! I-"

"I'm sorry, but he has to come with us. He knows too much. We take you both," a woman stated, gesturing towards four men to the right. "Grab them." The men nodded hastily and started towards us, eyes narrow in determination. 

I pulled Stiles closer, shaking my head furiously as they tried to pry us apart. "Stiles, I promise I'll find you. I'll keep you safe." I didn't know if I could stay true to that promise, but I would do everything in my power to get him back. Even if I had to kill every last one of these people. 

"I'll be okay, Derek. I'll be okay," he reassured me, tears rolling down his cheeks. He cried so easily, but that wasn't always a bad thing. It meant he wasn't heartless. He was too fragile for this. He didn't deserve to get hurt. I tried to hug him, tried to wipe away his tears, but the men were yanking me even further, my hands barely hanging on to his sides. 

The men pulled me away from Stiles, but there was no point in fighting them off. Stiles wiggled in their grasp, his hands barely hanging on to mine. Our fingers slipped apart, leaving us without each others touch. They were taking him away and I couldn't keep him safe. "Stiles!" I yelled as he got further and further away. "Stiles! Don't fall asleep! I promise I'll come get you! I swear!"

"Shut the hell up!" one of the men yelled in my ear, turning me so that Stiles was out of my view. Fighting was pointless. Yelling was pointless. If I didn't get Stiles back, living would be pointless. I'd feel guilty every single day for letting him out of my sight and putting him in danger. I slowly slipped out of consciousness as the man plunged a needle in my neck. The last thing on my mind when everything went dark was Stiles.

+++

"Wake up!" someone hissed next to my ear, yanking me into a sitting position. The drug they put in me hadn't worn off yet, so everything was foggy. "Derek, they injected you with wolfsbane. It should wear off in about ten minutes. Don't try to fight because it's pointless. If you knock one down, three more will pop up. Just wait for me to get back. I made a horrible mistake. I'm helping you out of this mess."