Chapter Thirty-six

A/N: So the next chapter is probably going to be the last chapter, and you're definitely going to hate me after I write it, but the way it's going to end has a very big part in the sequel, so you'll have to get over it. I love you though :)  

This chapter is a lot of fluff, except for the end, but no one dies, so we're all good.

Stiles

"So this looks bad," I started, scratching the back of my head. It probably didn't help that Derek and I were both shirtless, and I was still sweaty and flushed from the heavy make out session that had been going on a few minutes before. I should've known something would interrupt us, because something always did. This time just happened to be the one person I was trying to avoid, because I still had no idea how to break the news to her. Sorry Malia, but I'm in love with Derek? Yeah, she'd probably be pissed about that. Just like she was now, because this was worse than straight up telling her I was dumping her for Derek. 

"Yeah," Malia growled, stepping further into our room and forcing Derek and I to back up as well, until Derek was sitting on the bed awkwardly pulling his shirt back on, despite my silent protests. "This looks bad. My boyfriend, making out with Derek? Seriously? This is why you've been avoiding me since the rescue? Because you're screwing him?" she spat furiously, gesturing to Derek. 

"Malia, calm down for like two seconds so we can actually talk," I replied in a level tone, because I wasn't going to yell at her. It seemed wrong to do that, when I was the one at fault here. "I just-"

"No," Malia snapped, rolling her eyes. "Seriously, I go missing and you can't wait until you find me to have sex? You just couldn't wait to get it over with, so you screw the first person who's willing? That's pathetic, and I hope you both know that. This, whatever it is, this is bullshit." I tried to open my mouth, tried to deny everything she had just said because it had pissed me off more than anything else she could say, but she didn't give me the chance to talk. "Stiles, I don't know what you thought was going to happen. Did you really think you could go behind my back and keep this little fling with Derek going? Well, we're done. So you two can have your fun screwing each other and pretending you actually want to be together." She turned abruptly on her heel to leave, and I should've just let her. Derek and I's relationship wasn't her business, and I got what I wanted. We were broken up now. But I couldn't just let her say that and then leave. 

"You don't have any idea what Derek and I are, Malia," I called after her, before she could get the door open. She stood there, but didn't turn around. "Before all of this, before you were taken, we both knew our relationship was on the verge of a breakup. I was going to end things anyways, because we just weren't connecting anymore. I can actually connect with Derek. I'm in love with him, okay? You don't know anything, so don't just assume I'm with him for the sex. It's not about that."

Malia sighed, and I could tell by the way her shoulders lifted slightly, and then fell. "I'm glad you're happy," she said simply, emotionlessly. "Goodbye, Stiles." And then she was gone, letting the door slam hard behind her. 

Derek stood behind me, placed his hand on my shoulder, and pulled me back against his chest. He wrapped his arms around my stomach and locked his fingers together, letting his chin rest on my shoulder, his nose rubbing gently at the skin on my neck. "You okay?" he mumbled, kissing my shoulder.