Chapter 1: Acceptance

Hex's p.o.v.
($)($)($)($)($)($)
I didn't know what to do. Susan has been in the hospital for a month now. My training for this contest has been wrecking my body. I haven't been able to eat right. I haven't gotten any sleep. The little moments I get to myself are in the shower, but I can't stop thinking about her. Ender isn't a sickness to reckon with. It can kill and... And I don't want her to die. What if she does? I...I don't know what I would do.

I was sitting in the waiting room at the castle. I don't know when she is going to come out and I want to be there when she does. The waiting room was busy most days, but today it was quiet and I was alone. The color of white made me feel empty and dirty. All I could smell was lemon and hand sanitizer. The constant buzzes and beeps of medical equipment, lights, the vending machine, and phones had a melodic tone now. The coughs of other patients seemed to echo.

Vilkas walked up to me and sat down in a chair across from me.

"You know this is a very serious situation," he said. I nodded and hung my head low. "You really love her Huh?" He asked. I nodded again.

"With all of my heart," I said. He nodded and looked me up and down.

"You know it's that heart of yours that's the problem," he said. I looked up at him and his face was as blank and serious as a truthful man could get. "You're evil deep down inside. You knew this would happen and you decided to infect her anyway. Your veins pump the blood of your demon father. If I were you I'd leave and never come back. It'd be the best for the princess you know," he said.

Every word he said was true. I did know this would happen, but I didn't expect it to happen so quickly. I would've been able to control it once we finished my training, but I didn't account for everything to go so terribly.

Half of Susan's summer is being spent in a hospital. It's all my fault.

"Sir Vilkas you may see her," said the nurse. He nodded and stood.

"Hopefully you'll do the right thing Hex," he said to me before walking to the door.

"Oh so you're the one named Hex? The princess has been asking about you. Come on come in," she said. I stood and rushed to the door. Inside was a woman with Snow White hair and just as beautiful as the day I first saw her. She was sitting in the bed with a catheter in her arm.

"It was strange. Just as soon as we located the ender it disappeared," said the doctor. Vilkas walked up to the bed and kissed Susan's hand.

"I sat out there everyday waiting for you. I felt as if it was my fault for letting you get infected," he said.

"It's okay Vilkas. Now I'd like a little time to rest," she said. He started walking towards the door.

"Cmon Hex you heard her," he said. I was about to walk with him when she called my name.

"Except for you Hex. Doctors, could you please?" She asked. They left the room and closed the door. I was alone with her and I felt bad.

"Hex. I..I'm so glad to see you. I've been asking for you, but they wouldn't allow you to come in," she said. I stood there beside the window staring out into the stars.

"Cool," I say.

"Hex? Aren't you happy that I'm okay?" She asked. On the inside I wanted to scream I love you and dive into her bed and just cuddle and kiss her all over, but Vilkas was right. This was my fault.

"Yeah, sure," I said. I leaned against the wall and blew a piece of hair out of my face.

"Hex? What's wrong?" She asked. Her voice was gentle and worried. I didn't want to do this, but I needed to for her health.