02| Duo

Everything has beauty, but not everybody sees it.

- Confucius

Unknown Pov:

Finally.
A job after so much of struggle. Just watching cars all day long, something that I can do to earn a bit to survive.

I left my hell home, fed up of the ways my father led his life. Innocent men were murdered and children were left orphaned. I had enough of being a part of his schemes, I never supported him but I never was against it either, until now.

Living in this particular town is only temporary. I just need to find them and ask for their forgiveness. This job is just for time being as well.

Mr. Jones showed me the ropes.

"Be sure to watch out for thieves, " he advises as he picks up the box of his remaining belongings.

I smile politely, "I think I can handle it sir."

He looks at me and nods. The old man was short and stout, like a teapot with a little bald head and round framed glasses, shielding his beady black eyes which were tired and worn out. His face was pale and wrinkles appeared on his forehead whenever he frowned.

"How did he manage to stay here?" I wonder looking at the small room that felt a bit chilly as I stepped in. I wanted to grumble due to the lack of heat as I wrapped my sweater tighter around my body. I had second thoughts about this job but then again, the pay wasn't so bad for just taking care of the cars and keeping a lookout for thieves.

"Who will keep her company now?" he mutters sadly to himself as he shakes his head.

"Excuse me?"

"It's nothing, good luck then young man," he brushes the matter off and leaves, not before shaking my hand.

I look around the small room to inspect it further. The walls are grey from dust, a few cobwebs here and there, furnished with a small chair, desk and a fan. That's all the room has.

"At least I've got a TV in here so it can't be that bad," I convince myself, looking at the tiny TV sitting on the small desk.

Anyway, something is better than nothing.

There's a small potted sunflower plant near the window. A potted plant? I scoff seeing the lively pink potted plant so out of place in the midst of grey and push it to a corner. Wrapping a blanket around me, I settle in a chair and switch on the TV.

"Hi mister!!" I hear someone saying as I hear a gentle knock on the door.

Must be a friend of the old man's.

I open the door, irritated to be disturbed from my solace, but I never expected to see a beautiful girl stand before me. She stands near the door with a bag, from which I can smell food. I study her as she stuffs something that looks like a rod into her bag and walks in.

With her hazelnut colored hair flowing in the wind, high cheek bones and a killer body, she seems out of place in this dingy ugly room. "Must be a dancer or gym instructor." I figure as I take in her toned arms and legs before quickly averting my eyes before she can catch me staring.

Did the old man take aerobics or something?

I open my mouth to tell her that he had left, but when she looks at me. I forget everything else but those glassy blue eyes to realise that she isn't exactly looking at me.

A pang of pity hits my chest as the blind girl tilts her head to a side. "How are you, Mr. Jones?" she asks confirming my thoughts as she stands in front of the wall and bows. I cough to get her attention as she stands looking at the wall, waiting for a reply.

"I'm sorry but Mr. Jones is on leave right now since his wife fell sick. Till then, I guess I will be taking this shift. "

She looks a little shocked but recovers immediately and gives me a big smile. "I'm sorry, I thought you were standing there. It's fine that he isn't here, at least I have you for company now."

I shouldn't feel so happy, but I do when she says that.

She suddenly shoves a box towards me. "What's this?" I ask, confused by this stranger's intimate behaviour.

"Dinner."

Does she care about herself or not? Why would she give a complete stranger food? Shouldn't she be more conscious of her surroundings? Something about this person triggers a protective instinct in me and I want to keep her safe. I take the box from her and thank her. When I open it, I find a casserole and when I take a bite, my jaw hangs open in amazement.

Delicious.

How can someone who is blind make such good food? Beats me. I can't get enough of this though.

I give her a chair, expecting her to sit but she doesn't. "How is it?" she enquires instead.

" Mmm..." I find myself mumbling, stuffing my mouth with food.

"Haha, I guess that means that it's good. That's the only thing I can make," she declares with a chuckle.

Then it's the only thing I'd want to eat from now on.

She then places her hands on the walls and guides herself towards the window sill. She pauses for a minute as she sniffs the air and places her hand on the ledge and moves it around. Suddenly she gasps. Making me almost drop the box that I am holding as she squeals and starts scolding me.

"The Sunflowers!" she exclaims in astonishment.

"I am pretty sure I just watered them yesterday."

"What is she saying?" I mutter to myself as I look at her, frantically searching for something as she kneels on the floor, placing her hands here and there, shivering as she touches the cool surface.

"The Sunflowers should be kept near the window sill. Where did have they disappeared to?"

That girly pot? I take the flowers that I placed in the corner of the room and give it to her. She then asks me for water and I hand it to her without argument. She waters the flowers and places it back on the window sill. Ah, that's why there were flowers here, because of this girl.

"There, no more bad smell now," she states with a smile as she inhales the scent of the flower as I subtly look down at the socks that I have been wearing for three consecutive days. She can't be referring to me, can she?

"So, what's your name?" she asks, catching me off guard.

A/N:

So....how is May going? I'm melting like a popsicle from the heat.

Thoughts? Is this version better? There are going to be lots of changes, I've tweaked the book and I hope it's improved.

*Pretty sure no one is listening*

I think I'll be weird by myself then 😂😂