05| Quinque

If you judge people, you have no time to love them

-Unknown

Ryan's Pov

She invited me to the fair. I haven't really gone on a date before because I haven't had the time to do so, plus I'm not good at talking to woman so, going on a date with her makes me feel very nervous.

I maybe inexperienced in the field of romance but I know it's not right to keep a lady waiting, so I shave and shower quickly before donning the first pair of jeans I see and a random shirt from the drawers.

I glance at my watch, making sure I'm not late, before hopping on my bike. After I climb her hell like stairs, I ring the bell, out of breath.

As she opens the door, I feel the oxygen leave my lungs as my heart hammers erratically against my chest.

Can anyone look more beautiful than they already are?

She is just wearing a shirt and jeans, casual and simple yet it looks stunning on her. Her hazelnut hair cascades down her shoulders in waves and her dimpled smile just sends my heart in frenzy.

She is undoubtedly, the most beautiful girl that I have ever seen in my life.

As we reach my bike, I hand her the helmet. "What's this?" she asks, confused as she feels the black object in her hand. "It's heavy."

"It's a helmet," I say and she looks shocked.

"I haven't been on a bike before," she whispers nervously, making me want to caress her and keep her safe.

I carry her and place her on the backseat before she can protest. "Hold on tight okay," I say.

Her arms snake around my waist. I didn't know that even a small gesture like this would send shivers down my spine making me realize that I am attracted to her.

"We've reached," I state as we stand in front of the huge gate. Saying that it is crowed was an understatement- it was jam-packed. I pull her closer to me so we won't get separated. She blushes as her grip on my hand tightens.

"It's crowded huh?"

"Yeah, very," I chuckle at her flushed embarrassed face as she bumps into a stranger. She apologizes profusely while the guy smiles before disappearing into the sea of people.

"You know, you should laugh more often. I like your laugh," Leah tells me when in truth her mellifluous voice can only be compared to an Angel's. "Let's go on some rides!" she exclaims as I think of ways to compliment her.

"What do you want to go on first?"

"Merry - go – round."

I gaze at the brightly lit merry-go-round with a huge queue of little kids with their moms. Their arms are full of cotton candy and lollipops as they wait impatiently for their turn on the beautifully lit white stallions.

"Do I have to?" I sigh, knowing very well how awkward and out of place a fully-grown man would look, standing amongst the toddlers.

"Please Ryan- " she begs as she bites her plump pink lips, ignorant of the effect she has on me. I love the way she pronounces my name, as it rolls off her tongue with ease. My heart falters as I can't say no to that

"Fine," I tell her in defeat as I lead her to the merry - go - round. We wait patiently in the line for our ride, earning weird looks from parents and giggles from their kids, which wasn't much of a surprise to me. It was a little embarrassing, okay, a lot, but if it's for her I don't mind.

After about ten minutes, our turn comes. I guide her towards a white pony and she tries sitting on the pony, hopping and jumping in vain. I find it cute watching her struggle. I can't suppress the chortle that escapes my lips.

"Want some help?" I finally ask.

"Yes, please," she says looking fed up from trying to straddle the horse. I lift her by her hips on to the horse.

"Thank you," she whispers before turning a deep shade of red.

"No problem," I mutter probably blushing equally hard as her waist were moulded perfectly to my hands.

As the ride starts, she throws her head back and laughs with glee. I admire her as she looks very cute as she sits on the little white pony, amongst the other kids. "Your girlfriend is very pwetty," a tiny six year old boy tells me.

"She is," I agree, not bothering to correct him about the girlfriend part, for now I want nothing more than to have her for myself.

"Can we go another round?"

I didn't have the heart to say no.

We walk through the stalls with sticky blue cotton candy in our hands. "Want to try your luck at this game and earn a prize for your beautiful girl?" The man tips his hat and stare at Leah, making me want to growl at him.

Only I can call her beautiful.

Her face lights up and I feel the need to impress her, so I grab the gun from his hand and weigh it in my hands.

A rifle isn't what I normally use, but I've practiced a few times with it. I place my chin on the rest, "How many ducks do I shoot?" I ask, looking at the three tiers of moving ducks.

"5 tries. Three ducks," he replies and I nod.

I close one eye and shoot five times continuously. "Five ducks," I say as the man looks visibly shocked, staring at me in amazement. "My prize?" I ask again as he seems to be frozen behind the counter.

"P-pick anything you'd like sir." He stutters and I pick a fluffy brown teddy and hand it to Leah.

"That was amazing. How can you shoot so well? Did you practice a lot?" she inquisitively asks, making me stiffen and regret showing off.

I don't answer her and that seems to make her ask more questions, "Were you a shooter? Did you have a dangerous job before? I don't know much about you- are you an undercover agent? Why aren't you answering?"

I feel my anger rise and before I realize, I snap. "Because it is none of your business!"

She takes a step back, as though she had just been slapped in the face. "Ah, I'm sorry," she croaks as tears form in her eyes.

I bury my face in my hands, feeling so ashamed at myself for snapping at her but when I look up, she's gone. Panicking I look around to spot her as fear grips my chest, wondering what could happen to her in this unfamiliar place and the worst case scenarios start popping into my head.

"Silly girl, where did you run off to?"

A/N:
Since it's a holiday for me today, I felt..why not?

What doesn't Ryan want Leah to know?

Do you think it's foolish of her to run off like that?