07| Septem

And in her smile I see something more beautiful than stars.

-Beth Revis

Ryan's Pov

Leah was pretty shaken up. She latched onto my white undershirt really tight, almost ripping it off as she sobbed. I held her tight and stroked her hair gently again, the small action calmed her down as her grip on me loosened. She visibly relaxed in my arms.

"Thank you," she softly whispers again. "I don't know what would have happened if-"

I place my finger on her lip to shush her, "It didn't happen. Will you be fine by yourself? Do you have anyone who can keep you company today?" I ask her, aware that she wouldn't want to be left alone after that traumatic incident.

She slowly shakes her head and I hold her closer to me. Patting her head, I sigh, "Then stay at my place till you feel alright."

"Can I? You'll be okay with that?" she murmurs.

For you, I'd do anything.

My place, like hers is a small apartment, but very messy. It doesn't help that a big Mexican family lives right next door to mine, making it extremely noisy, especially on weekends.

They spot us as I walk to my front door and start whispering in what they thought was a hushed tone. "Oh mama look, he is carrying her like a princess!" That's when I realize that I was carrying her- bridal style.

I turned red, redder than a tomato. Why do I always get embarrassed when I'm with her? I cleared my throat and glare at the kids who blatantly keep staring at us with their big brown eyes, but it seems to have the opposite effect on them as they continue observing us.

"Mola! For once he acts manly!" the mother beams as she waves at us with a ladle in her hand.

"I thought you said he was gay?"

"Shh, not infront of the man, mi querido niño."

I heard a soft chuckle from Leah, "I didn't know you liked men." I glance down at her as her mirthful laughter fills my ears. At least she was smiling again.

"Well, neither did I."

I sigh. Not wanting to be studied further under a magnifying glass by my not so timid neighbours, I gently placed her down and forage my pockets for the keys to the apartment. She places her hand around my waist for support and I ignore the shivers that run down my spine.

I unlock the door and gently guide her into the apartment. I see a grey sock lying on the floor and kick it under the sofa. "Do you want anything to drink?" I ask as I help her down onto a plush chair, fully aware of my lack of expertise in the kitchen.

"No. I'm good," she mumbles as she twiddles her fingers nervously.

I stare at my oversized shirt hanging loosely over her slender small frame and wonder how hot she would look without the jeans.

My eyes wander to the brown beauty spot just below her ear, makes me want to bite it and they dip further down to her exposed neck, admiring how pale and smooth it look but narrow in anger as I see a blue-black discoloration, marring her beautiful skin.

"Those assholes, I should have shot them in the mouth."

I growl as I trace the bruise lightly and watch her flinch at my touch. I wish I had cut their dirty mouths off their ugly faces, mouths that had touched her.

"It doesn't hurt that much," she softly insists, just to calm my anger.

"Only you would say that solnyshko." her eyebrows furrow at the phrase of endearment.

"What does that mean?" she finally asks as I rummage the fridge for ice and a bottle of water. I grin at her exhausted voice as she continues to yell, "Does that mean I'm dumb?"

I place the pack of ice, tightly in a piece of cloth before placing it on her neck. She closes her eyes as I place a bit of pressure on the pack. "Does it hurt anywhere else?" I ask, taking her arms and examining her wrist, to check for any hematomas.

"I'm fine," she assures me again with a smile that makes my heart flutter.

I cup her face with my large hands and stare into her glassy blue eyes, aware that she can't see the sincerity on my face, "I swear, I won't let anything happen to you again."

I've never had my face this close to hers to notice the small freckles that are sprinkled on her face, making me want to kiss every single one of them.

She slowly opens her mouth but her stomach interrupts her, erupting into a low rumble. I would have kissed her if there hadn't been an interruption but watching her blush as she covered her face awkwardly in shame made up for it.

"I'm sorry I don't have anything to eat except for an expired can of tuna. Do you want me to order a pizza?" I ask her and she nods robotically before hiding her face in a cushion.

***

"I'm sorry," she whispers, making me look up from my half-eaten pepperoni pizza. "I shouldn't have asked you about yourself. You can't tell a stranger about your personal life-"

"When have you been a stranger? You are the only woman in my life right now. It's just that, somethings are better left unsaid. My past is something I cannot talk of and it still haunts me to this day. I can tell you, at least not now, but when time comes you will be the first to know," I say, glancing down at the faint scar that runs across my right arm, a constant reminder of that day.

She smiles, "I'm the only woman in your life?" Her gleeful childlike laughter makes me grin as after giving such a big speech, that was the only thing she had caught on.

"You are so cute, solnyshko." I mutter, finishing my crust in one bite.

"What does that mean?" she asks exasperatedly with a pout, unaware of the effect she has on me.

"I think you should go to bed now." I guide her to my small bed and fluff the two pillows to make her feel comfortable. "Is that okay to sleep in?" I ask, looking at her jeans.

She shrugs, "I don't have anything else to wear."

I'd prefer you not wearing anything.

I clear my throat, trying to clear my head of perverted thoughts and hand her a cotton t shirt and my favourite plaid boxers.

I'd like to see her in my boxers.

"You can change into these. I'll be sleeping on the sofa if you need me." I rush out of the room before I can think of more lewd thoughts.

I spread out a blanket for a makeshift bed for myself on the sofa when suddenly she calls out, "Ryan?"

"What happened?" I ask as I avert my eyes from her form, trying to ignore her beautiful hair in messy waves and her long legs in those checked shorts.

"I- I don't want to sleep alone. I'm scared that someone will come." A tear slides down her cheek and I wipe it gently with the pad of my thumb.

"Shh, I'm here now. You want me to hold your hand?"

"Yes," she clutches my rough hands in her tiny soft ones before closing her eyes and falling to sleep.

I brush a strand of hair from her face as I lay next to her. She is so beautiful and at that moment there was nothing I wanted to protect more than her alluring smile.

A/N:
It's really hot, the heat is really killing me.

Don't forget to vote and comment ;)