19| Undēvīgintī

As your feelings for someone grow stronger, so does your fear of losing them

Unknown

With Alexander's help, I manage to get on a flight to Russia the very next day and Pat insisted on travelling with me. "You can't go alone." she explained as she noticed my tear stricken face.

The whole plane ride went in a blur and I couldn't stop thinking about what Alexander had said.

"I'm sorry, I can't explain things over the phone. Just remember one thing, he loves you very much."

I called my Aunt May as well as texted Lily to let them know that I would be gone for a couple of days. Pat made arrangements for our friends to cover our shifts at the academy.

I feel no air in my lungs and find myself hyperventilating at the thought of Ryan's lifeless form in front of me.

It's happening again. The first time I'll be able to see him will be like that. I don't want that to happen. I can't bear the pain of losing someone again.

I suddenly feel a warm steady hand squeeze my trembling ones on the arm rest. "He'll be fine," she assures me and orders a cup of green tea to calm me down.

The eight hour flight seemed like eternity making me so fidgety in my seat.

When we finally land in Moscow,Pat turns to me,"Do you even know how is cousin of his looks?" I stop dead in my tracks as I hadn't thought about that before. We scan the bustling crowd holding placards in the air as they wait to receive their guests or loved ones. Squinting my eyes I try reading off all the names written on them.

Congrats Jake!

Welcome back Christene!

Mr. Kuzmich, Ceo of Wurtz and co.

I feel a surge of disappointment and uncertainty. Suddenly this whole trip felt like a joke. What if someone was just trying to con us? Luring us to a foreign country where we don't know anyone. Maybe this was a bad idea. I clutch Pat's hand,"We should probably head back-"

"Leah? Over here!" We hear a man shout. He approaches us, running from a distance in a black neatly pressed suit. The closer the distance he covers with his long legs, the more handsome he looks.

"Hubba Hubba," Pat purrs under her breath as he stands in front of us, panting heavily from sprinting.

"Hello, I hope the journey wasn't too uncomfortable," he finally says, shaking my hand before turning to Pat.

"I'm Patricia," she manages to choke out as he takes her hand. When I notice that she is holding onto his hand longer than a normal handshake, I swiftly pinch her causing her to jerk and let go of his hand as she winces in pain.

He flashes a dimpled smile before offering to carry our suitcases for us. Pat looks absolutely smitten and shyly nods as he takes her bag from her. I nudge her arm to snap her out of it, but she swats my hands away.

As he proceeds to reach for mine, I stop him as something just dawns upon me."How did you know what I looked like? We've never met, or have we?" I ask curiously. Ryan and I never spoke much about our families because we didn't want to be reminded of our pasts.

"There are things that I'm not proud of doing and it used to eat up my conscience. That is why I moved here to set things right, and when I do so I will tell you everything," he promised once when I asked him why he moved from Russia, leaving behind his family. I had spoken about my sister once or twice, but he never spoke much about his.

The man looks taken aback for a moment but relaxes himself. "I've seen your pictures. He has shown me so many of Dexter as well, by the way, you didn't bring him along?" He asks and I smile sheepishly for being so suspicious and paranoid. Sometimes I forget how close cousins can be.

 His face turns serious as he escorts us to a black sedan. "There were some work to be done at the hospital and Uncle insisted on staying in the hospital, since he's been taking care of Ryan. It's a fifteen minute drive to the hospital from here. Wait, do you girls need to shower?"

"Yes!"

"No!"

Pat throws me a glare before leaning in, "We both stink." She lowers her voice into a whisper so Alexander can't hear,"My hair looks so frizzy and pores have so much oil. He must be thinking that I look really ugly!"

"I think you girls look beautiful," he says with a grin, looking at us from the front mirror before moving his eyes back onto the road. Pat gapes at him with her mouth open in horror before covering her face in embarrassment. I cover my mouth to hide a smile.

"We'll stop at the house then."

"What happened to him?" I ask him. The only thing Alexander would tell me was that Ryan was injured badly and admitted in the hospital for an emergency surgery. I notice him grip the steering wheel harder as he clenches his chin.

"He got shot."

I start shaking. "Leah, there are things you don't know about Ryan or our family. It's my fault, I shouldn't have forced him to come home by offering a doctor and paying for your surgery-"

"Just take me to him," I whisper. 

***

I imagined that the first time I would see his face, I'd see him smiling. 

Two guards dressed in suits stand at the door and when we approach the room, Alexander nods at them.

"You should go meet him first, we'll wait outside," he says and Pat agrees, very happy to oblige as that gives her an opportunity to spend sometime alone with him.

When I walk into the room my eyes fall onto the person in bed with various tubes connected to his body. So this is how you look. I walk slowly towards him and take in his jet black hair and chiselled jaw, though pale, he looked extremely handsome. "This is not how I wanted to see you though," I softly mutter and hold his limp hand which suddenly feels heavy in mine.

"Don't worry, little one. He will come around, the doctor said it will take one to two days." An older man who looks very much like Ryan says. I hadn't been aware of his presence. He seems familiar, like I've met him before but can't recall where.

"I'm Ryan's father. Thank you for coming, he would have wanted you here," he smiles at me, but his eyes bore sadness. His face looks exhausted and his clothes are all crumpled, having spent the days by his side.

I look down at his sleeping form,"I would have come sooner if I had known."

He sighs,"I'm sorry. I am to blame for this. My son-if anything happens to him I don't know what I'll do."

I lightly hold the man's arm to comfort him,"He will be fine. There's nothing to worry about." Putting up a brave front is all I can do, for the man beside me looks like he is going to fall apart at any second. "I'll stay here, why don't you go and take some rest?"

He doesn't resist and nods tiredly. "He's in your hands. I'll leave you alone with him. Thank you, again."

He slips out of the room, leaving me alone with him.

A/N:
Amidst this pandemic, since I belong to the system of healthcare providers I will be attending college again from Monday. I hope you guys can pray for me and remember to stay safe okay :)