17| Septendecim

Revenge is a raging fire that consumes the arsonist
-Max Lucado

Ryan's Pov:

Lunch was ready, but father and Alexander were out for a while, they hadn't returned yet. I glance at the clock and furrow my eyebrows.

"They must be running late," Gerard states as he studies the look of worry on my face.

I nod my head but I can't help shake the feeling of unease in my chest. I tried cling them both, but it said that the network was out of range.

Maybe the docks has bad signal.

My stomach grumbles, reminding me of Irina's delicious meat pies. I groan.

"I feel you should eat young master." He pushes a plate of the glistening beef towards me and I reach for the nearest fork and pause.

"I think I'll wait."

I ignore the pit I feel in my stomach as the the arms of the clock keep moving. An hour goes by and as I pace around the room impatiently the phone rings.

"Hello?"

"If you want to see your father and cousin, come to the docks at 7 tonight. And if you bring anyone, this will be the last time you see them."

"Ryan don't come here!" I hear Alexander scream.

"Shut up," the man growls. I hear a crash but before I can respond, the line goes dead.

Shit

Shit

Shit

I try to compose myself by taking a deep breath. It will be alright. Three hours, I'll see them in three hours. "They'll be fine, they'll be alive."

I walk to my father's room. The first time I'm entering it since my mother passed away. The large room less colder than normal, since it lacks my father's presence.

Avoiding a glance at the king sized bed, which contained memories of where I used to lay on while my mother sang me lullabies in her wonderful voice. I shake myself as the image of her gently patting me to sleep while my father sat at his desk and worked, listening to her sweet voice as he did appears in my head.

"He must have a gun here," I mutter to myself as I eye the dark wooden desk at the corner of the room.

I open the first drawer and find it empty. The second one I find locked and tug on the brass handle in vain. I scan the table top and notice a frame faced downwards.

As I straighten it, I take a sharp intake of breath and stare at the picture of family- a happy one.

The man is clearly handsome with his dark black hair and sharp nose, dressed in simple linen brown pants and a light grey shirt, but what is most beautiful is his eyes that are filled with love and devotion for the woman that his arms are wrapped around.

The woman with her light blonde hair, smiles at the camera with a big smile on her face as her green eyes are on the little babe nestled in her arms, looking up at her in wonder.