Chapter Eighteen: Unsuspecting Visitors...

Chapter Eighteen: Unsuspecting visitors... 

Dedicated to: littlemissbipolar for the best convo on SPONGEBOB and TANGLED!!!

-------------

I sat in the hard uncomfortable hospital chair waiting patiently outside of the emergency room. These hospitals have obviously never heard of ergonomics. Glancing to my left, I spied Cy-Cy and Shawn laying side by side on a row of chairs. The soft snores and rising and falling of their chests told me that they were asleep. A soft smile touched my lips as I took in the similarities between the two. This was really a kodak moment.

Tearing my gaze away from the snoozing siblings, I focused my gaze back on the illuminating emergency light. Damn, I was sure the operation would be long done by now. What was taking so long? She couldn't have di—

I mentally slapped myself. How could I be thinking like that? 

For another hour, I sat there in the stiff hospital chair still waiting for the doctors to come out with their verdict. The long wait began to take its toll on my eyes as the emergency sign began to turn into a blurry red haze. Using the remnants of my strength, I attempted to stay awake, but in the end my heavy eyelids had drooped shut.

--------

I was shaken awake by firm hands gripping my arms. Grumbling, my eyes slowly opened as I took my time getting up from the chair I had been laying on. Taking a quick glance from the corner of my eyes, I spotted Cy-Cy and Shawn still fast asleep and mumbled a few unintelligible words under my breath. Stretching, I loosened my tense muscles and stared drowsily at the person who had interrupted my sleep.

My senses quickly kicked in as I stared up at the familiar face of Dr. Grey. Shooting up from the chair, I tried to ask him what I had been aching to for the past day, but no sound came out. Seeming to sense the unspoken words, Dr. Grey beckoned me to follow him.

Shooting one more glance at the slumbering twins, I turned back towards the retreating man in the white cloak.

Catching up to him, I searched his face for any hints of Brooklyn's condition. He gave nothing away. Honestly, this guy would win poker games hands down with that face.

Rounding a corner, I was met with the familiar surroundings of the hallway that led to Brooklyn's room. My head began to grow lighter as we drew closer to her room.

Reaching the end of the halls, we stopped in front of a familiar wooden door. Beside the door read the name Brooklyn Banks. Taking a deep breath, I placed my shaking hands on the doorknob and turned it.

Closing my eyes, I collected myself before walking in.

---------

The door shut silently behind me as I stepped into the room. Swivelling my head, I noticed the absence of Dr. Grey. Shrugging it off, I refocused on the figure lying on the white sheets before me. 

Hesitantly, I crossed the remaining space between Brooklyn and I. Taking a seat in a chair by her bed, my breath hitched as I stared down at her. Her face was slightly paled and her long locks of brown hair were scattered around her face. Her plump lips parted slightly as soft snores echoed from her throat.

Relief washed through my body as my muscles finally relaxed. My lips curved up slightly into a smile as I reached a hand down and gently brushed her rosy cheek. God, she was beautiful.

A soft gasp came from me as her long eyelashes slowly lifted and her brown eyes stared up at mine. She looked up at me, her eyes still dazed from sleeping, and smiled softly. Reaching up, she touched my face and whispered, "Monkey what are you doing here? I thought I told you I don't have any bananas."

A wide smile engulfed my face as I grabbed her in a tight hug. Burying my face in her soft hair, I whispered in her ear, "I was so worried."

I felt her arms wrap around me in return. After a few moments, she backed away from the embrace and chuckled, "Of course you were worried monkey. How could you survive your overly boring life without me?"

Rolling my eyes playfully, I wrapped her in another tight hug. Returning my earlier gesture, she whispered in my ear, "Monkey?"

I shivered as she tickled my ear. Shoot! Did she not know the effect she had on me? 

"Yea Rooky?"

"You're squashing me..."

Quickly releasing her from my vice grip, I looked over her, worry flooding my body. I had totally forgotten that she had just gone through surgery!

A chuckle that came from her told me she was ok. Her laughter quickly turned into a yawn as she stretched out on the bed. 

"Someone needs some sleep," I said while flicking her nose. 

Swatting my hand away with a wince, she lay down in her bed. "I'm not tired."

"Mmhmm. You just keep thinking that."

"Shutup, I'm trying to sleep monkey."

Chuckling slightly, I waited for a few seconds before standing up. I turned about to leave when I felt a soft tug on my shirt. Looking down, I saw Brooklyn lying on her bed with her eyes closed. Her hand was latched onto my shirt in a firm grip.

"Stay a little longer Remy. Please."

Sitting back down in the chair, I smiled to myself. "I thought you were asleep?"

"What are you talking about? I am."

"Sure."

The few seconds of silence were broken by Brooklyn. 

"Hey Remy?"

"Yea Rooky?"

She shuffled around on the bed and rolled over, facing away from me. "I'm sorry about before and...about what I said."

My heart let out a cry of joy at her words. A grin danced on my lips as I stared at her back. "It's fine Brooklyn."

She turned back to face me. My heart ached towards her as I saw her brown eyes brimming with tears. "Remy," her lips quivered, "you know I didn't mean any of it. I would never-could never, hate you. I'm really—"

I interrupted her with a finger to the lips as a tear rolled down her cheeks. "It's ok Brooklyn." It pained me to see that she had been hurting as much as I had. Brushing away the stray tear, I wrapped her in another hug.

We stayed in each other’s arms for a while, lost in our own private world. We were pulled back into reality when the door was swung open. Ignoring the intruder, I continued to hug her until I felt her body go tense. Furrowing my eyebrows, I released her and looked at her face.

She was completely pale. 

Snapping my fingers in front of her face, I attempted to get her attention. It wasn't working. Realizing that she wasn't staring at me, I followed her line of vision and locked eyes with two stunning figures. 

-----

Brooklyn's POV

My body grew tense and I felt my face pale over as I stared at the two figures standing in the door way. 

Shit! Not now. Why did this have to happen now? 

I'm screwed.

-------