Chapter Twenty-Six

My head bobbed up and down slightly as a deep wave of drowsiness overtook me. Feeling my eyelids grow heavy and my vision blurring, I succumbed to the slumber I had been fighting off and allowed myself to nod off to sleep.

It didn’t last long.

Feeling a burning sensation graze my neck, I snapped my head up and opened my eyes yelping in pain. Glancing in the mirror positioned directly in front of me, I glared coldly at Cy-Cy who shot me an innocent look.

“Bitch,” I muttered under my breath as she continued to straighten my hair with her cherry red hair straightener.

Clapping the straightener in her hands demonically, she shot me a glare, “Mind repeating that Brook?”

Sensing the threat laced in her words, I straightened up in my chair and shook my head lightly – being careful not to burn myself with the straightener once again.

I sat there patiently for what felt like centuries before Cy-Cy piped out the words ‘I’m done’. I’d never known how much I loved those two words until this very moment.

Standing up from the chair in my room, I stretched returning the feeling back into my body. Gazing at the mirror, I gaped at the girl who stared back at me. My brown eyes were framed by black mascara and encircled by smoky eye shadow which brought out a mysterious tinge to my face. Cy-Cy had applied lip gloss to my lips which now seemed much more – to put it blatantly – kissable. My usually straight hair was now wavy and just skimmed my collarbone. Tracing a hand through it, I admired Cy-Cy’s handiwork.

“Hey,” Cy-Cy snapped while slapping my hand out of my hair, “don’t mess up my beautiful handiwork.”

Rubbing the back of my hand, I glared at her and smoothed out my dress which had been slightly crumpled while I had been sitting down. Hooking my arm through Cy-Cy’s, I began to her out of my room, but stopped mid-stride. Sure I was going with Shawn, but – who was Cy-Cy going with?

As if reading my mind, Cy-Cy chuckled silently to herself and began to usher me out the door.

“Oh dear Brooklyn, I can take care of myself. Besides, I already got myself a date.”

Smiling mysteriously, she continued to lead us down the hallway. Sending her a questioning glance, she waved me off and began descending down the staircase. Realizing that she didn’t want to talk about it, I rolled my eyes with a slight smile on my face and quickly raced down the stairs to catch up with her.