II

Following her extensive nightly routine - which included showering, drying off, moisturizing, and dressing herself in her satin pajamas - Camila emerged from the bathroom an hour later. She'd braided her hair and put on her Ugg slippers before walking across the hall to her room. She turned the light on and looked at the light blue walls warily.

There was a single bed and a dresser against the wall. Those two were the only discernible pieces of furniture in there. The rest of the room was filled with boxes and baby supplies. There was a disassembled high chair, a crib, and a bassinet in their respective boxes. Along the walls, there were several boxes full of infant diapers, clothes, and toys. It was kind of creeping Camila out, if she were being honest. As she thought of Clara, she didn't even look pregnant. Had her dad mentioned something about them expecting a baby?

Nevertheless, Camila let herself into the room. With the door open, she walked over to the dresser and laid her clothes neatly inside. Then, she abandoned her dirty clothes in the corner and sat down on the bed. There wasn't much to look at in here. This room didn't even have a TV. That much was okay, though. It was obvious that this room hadn't been put to use prior to her family coming here. It was sort of unsettling to be completely alone in a place that was unfamiliar to her.

She sat there and twiddled her thumbs for a bit before finding something better to do. She retrieved her MacBook and hoped they had wifi. For a second, she contemplated asking Lauren about how to do it, but decided otherwise. After struggling to connect it to the Internet by herself, she was content. For a moment, at least. Camila found her resolve by tuning into Netflix to finish watching the new season of Orange Is the New Black, her guilty pleasure. All was going well until she noticed movement out of her peripheral vision.

When she turned her head, her blood practically ran cold. She froze in place, just staring at it. There was a goddamn spider on the wall, creeping towards her at rapid speed. She wanted to cry. Her arachnophobia was no joke, although everyone treated it as such. Even if they weren't poisonous or anywhere near her, she was terrified. Tears welled in her eyes at the sight of it scuttling closer and she wished someone would come remove it for her, but she couldn't move. When the spider made its way onto her bed, she couldn't take it. She screamed and bolted away from the bed and into Lauren's room. It was the fastest she'd probably ever moved in her life. While she stood there hunched over trying to catch her breath, Lauren was eyeing her harshly.

"Why are you in here...?" Lauren asked, her voice dripping in exasperation. "This is my room."

After staring at her for a few moments and getting no answer, Lauren looked at her features closely. She seemed panicked, for whatever reason. Camila was grasping her knees like her life depended on it, breathing heavily. Lauren leaned off of her bed to assess her face and noticed how flushed her cheeks were. Camila was damn near hyperventilating, and when Lauren got closer she could make out that her cheeks were wet.

"What's wrong with you?" Lauren asked somewhat sympathetically. She didn't necessarily like Camila, but it wasn't like she wanted to see her cry either.

"There's a spider in there," Camila said and let out a quiet sob, now standing up straight. "Please do something..."

Lauren resisted the urge to roll her eyes again. God, she was prissy as well. Lauren huffed and crossed the hallway to see what had gotten her all shaken up. When she saw the tiny spider on the center of her bed, she groaned. Was she serious right now? Lauren side-eyed the girl standing in her doorway. When she determined that Camila actually was incapable of taking care of this herself, she strode over to the bed.

"Wow," she muttered under her breath as she found a piece of paper to scoop the spider up on. Once it was on there safely, she curled the paper and carried it towards the door. A mischievous smile spread across Lauren's lips as she got an idea. She walked over to Camila, who had wide eyes at the spider in her grasp. She jutted out her arm in Camila's direction, earning herself a piercing scream that resounded through the entire room.