IX

It was way too hot.

Seriously, it was like a goddamn sauna. It was sweltering in here. The immense discomfort Camila felt was what roused her from her sleep in the early hours of the morning. Her eyes slowly opened, groggily looking around and wondering why she was burning up that way. Her surroundings were unfamiliar. When her mind registered that she was viewing Lauren's room from her bed, she grew confused. When did she get here? And why was it so hot?

She tried to sit up, but was oddly held back by something foreign around her. Figuring it was just the abnormally heavy comforter, she blindly reached down to push it off. Coming into contact with Lauren's heated skin caught her off guard significantly. If she wasn't awake before, she definitely was now. All of her senses kicked in, trying to perceive order as to why and how she'd ended up here. She looked down uncertainly, only to find Lauren's arm tightly clinging around her waist. The older girl was curled comfortably into Camila from behind, nuzzling her face into her back. Well, that would explain why she was so overheated.

What it didn't explain was the when, how, and why she got to be here in the first place. She hardly remembered much of last night. She remembered the awkward conversation in the bedroom and helping Michael set up for the barbecue. She recalled how she worked with Lauren and eventually ended up cuddling in a strangely tense position. Her memory stretched back to falling asleep on the recliner once Lauren retired to the floor. She did not remember walking upstairs nor deciding to sleep in Lauren's bed as opposed to the couch she usually slept on. This was all so strange.

As hot as she was, she knew Lauren had to be uncomfortable too. She wanted to alleviate as much of it as she could, as well as doing it for herself. Lauren's hold on her was so strong. It was kind of nice, despite the fact that it was probably a hundred degrees between the two of them. If it was to happen in the future, she would eventually be able to experience this again - under much better circumstances. With that stroke of optimism, she gently tried to pry herself away from the sleeping girl attached to her. She inched towards the edge of the bed, but didn't get very far. She didn't want to wake Lauren up. So she tried moving even slower. She'd successfully gotten one leg over the side of the bed, preparing to stand and flee. As subtly as she could, she pried Lauren's fingers away from her hip. But Lauren shifted and readjusted herself in her sleep - reversing Camila's progress.

Camila bit her lip as she tried to figure out a way to escape. The green-eyed girl had a significant hold on her and was definitely set on keeping her there. After trying twice more, Camila just laid there in defeat. Lauren was an unconscious cuddler with a strong hold, evidently.

Except she wasn't.

She was awake, but merely acting like she was sleeping. In reality, Lauren woke up the moment Camila started to stir. She'd always been a light sleeper. When she registered that she was holding onto Camila that way, she selfishly wanted to prolong it. In her sleep, she couldn't truly enjoy the act. She loved the way being this close felt. It was intimate to her. Camila was actively attempting to get away, but Lauren just kept acting like she was sleeping. It was a good enough excuse to latch onto her this way without having to fabricate an explanation.

Camila liked it as much as Lauren, but was far too hot to endure it. Beads of sweat dotted her forehead. Her clothes were damp and sticking to her. The arm Lauren had around her was only adding more heat; That, and her cuddly body being pressed flush against Camila's back. Camila couldn't take it. She needed a breather and some relief. Lauren felt her straining against her once more and decided to abandon her act. She pouted, but loosened her grip anyway. Camila grinned at the success and detached herself. She sat on the edge of the bed and fanned herself. Then she got up from the bed. Lauren dejectedly noticed how there was no longer a dip in the bed, but remained quiet. She missed her already.