XXV

Clara wasn't as livid as Lauren had been expecting her to be. Instead of being greeted by a formal cursing out session, she was met with loving arms and a tight embrace. She knew the intent behind it and they didn't exchange any words when Lauren and Camila had made it back home. While Camila was starting to think that she wasn't included in the reunion, Clara reached out and pulled her into a hug that was just as genuine as the concern she had for her daughter.

"Don't you ever pull anything like that ever again," Clara admonished the both of them.

"We won't," Lauren promised quickly when Clara let them go. She was surprised that she was getting off so easily. Or so she thought.

"I know you won't. Give me your keys," Clara demanded, knowing that despite the fact that she was okay, there had to be consequences.

Lauren sighed and willingly gave up her car keys without much of a fight. There was no way she'd get away with it completely. However, taking her keys wasn't much of a problem due to the fact that she was a couch potato during the summer. All this meant was that she would probably have to pester Normani and Dinah for rides for the next week or so.

"Now, tell me how you two even ended up staying there?" Clara's dynamic changed from relief, to stern, and now to curious. The constant shifts were giving Camila whiplash.

"We just fell asleep after we-" Lauren began to reveal, but thankfully caught herself. The scarlet tone her face had taken on had probably outed her.

"After you...?" Clara encouraged her to finish her sentence.

"After we... Went... To the store..." Lauren fabricated and glanced at Camila to see if she was being as obvious. Her girlfriend was cool and collected while Lauren was a damn mess. She was a horrible liar, and she found that Camila was no better.

"To buy some milk," Camila added helpfully with a nod that she thought was pretty convincing.

"Okay..." Clara skeptically looked between the two of their guilty faces and decided not to press the matter. She felt like she knew, but she didn't want any confirmation. If she didn't acknowledge it, it didn't happen. On that note, she left the two girls alone and sauntered elsewhere.

"That was awful," Lauren let out the breath she'd been holding and laughed at Camila. "Milk? Really?"

"Like you could come up with something better," Camila scoffed and pushed against Lauren's shoulder.

"Milk..." Lauren said again and giggled at the peculiar item that came to her girlfriend's head, of all things. "I'm almost certain she knows."

"She probably knows we were lying, but she can't know what we were lying about," Camila smirked at Lauren while they made their way out of the kitchen.

"Whatever you say, Camz," Lauren sighed and followed her down the hall.

"I still can't believe we did that," Camila said almost inaudibly as they ascended up the stairs and towards Lauren's room.

"Me neither. I keep thinking about it and it's like I can't process that it actually happened," Lauren admitted when they were once more in the privacy of her room. "I never saw it coming."

"Well, I saw it coming. We've always had that tension, you know," Camila snuck a glance at her figure and the nude image popped into her mind inappropriately. She was only proving herself right. "It was always more of a when than an if."

"I guess you could say that," Lauren's lips curled into a coy smirk. "What kind of tension was it, exactly? I'm not sure I know what you mean..." she hinted and pushed the door closed.