III

I woke up to an empty room.

The walls and the floors and the door were white. Everything was white. I was in a corner, shackles on both my wrists and ankles. There was one window, but it was too high up so the only thing I could see out of it was the blue sky.

I was still in the clothes they took me in, though now they were ripped in multiple places. I felt on my forehead, and my hand came back sticky and red. I could feel the deep cut stinging from my hair line to my eyebrow. There was dried blood that ran down my cheek like tears. Bruises were peaking out from the edges of the shackles. I assumed that the bruises wrapped all around my wrists and ankles like bracelets.

I tried to stand up but the chains were too short. I tugged on the chains, foolishly hoping that I could pull them out of the wall.

The door creaked open, causing my tugging to stop and my head to snap up. A bald man with a lab coat over a blue shirt with a tie and khaki pants entered, and shut the door behind him. As soon as he entered, I tried to shoot electricity at him, but nothing happened.

"Ah, your powers won't work when you have those shackles on. Invented them myself, they block any and all powers as long as they're touching you." He smiled proudly.

I glared at him.

"What do you want with me?" I asked him as coldly as I could.

"I'm Doctor Daniels." He said, completely ignoring me.

"I'll say it one more time, what do you want with me?" I spat at him.

"Me? I don't want anything to do with you. But my boss does," He smiled wickedly. "And my boss wants to get to your brother."

"And who would your boss be?" I asked him, keeping a hard edge in my voice.

"That's not for you to know." He waved me off, sticking his hands in his lab pockets.

"Then why are you here?"

"As I said before, I'm a doctor. Well, I used to be. They stripped me of my degree when they realized my, uh, fascination of human experiments."

I looked at him in horror.

"So you're going to experiment on me?" My voice was higher than normal.

He stepped forward, and took my face in his hand. I tried to yank away, but he had a firm grip.

"Yes," He said, moving my face side to side. "You'll make a wonderful test subject."

He let go of my face and I scrambled back into the corner.

"Wh-why are you doing this to me?" I was losing my nerve.

He sighed.

"We've been over this Grace, to get to your brother. If he finds his precious sister missing an arm, maybe a leg, or perhaps she'll be mute, or dead, who knows what that will do to him?"

It would absolutely destroy him. Something then clicked in my mind.

"Wait, you're counting on him finding me? Is this a trap?" I asked, narrowing my eyes.

"Look who's a smart one," He grinned. "We aren't going to hurt him physically. At least not yet. But right now, it's all about his mentality."

Doctor Daniels tapped his temple. He glanced at his watch and sighed.

"Only about four more hours until we expect Brooke. I'll be back with the equipment." He smiled wickedly, and stepped out of the room.

My breathing increased as I grew more nervous. In four hours, Brooke would be here to save me. But I could be mutilated, disabled, dismembered, or worse. And Brooke would blame and never forgive himself.