VI

The news was on in the background while I was texting Anna, and it was mostly ignored, until something caught my attention.

"And in other news," The anchor said. "A new superhero, dubbed Absent Spark,  has been spotted in Cross Lake City. She was fighting Master Malum's sidekick, Black Disappear, while Tempest Storm fought Malum himself.

She has not been spotted since the fight that happened two days ago, but she does seem to have some connection to Tempest because when Malum threw her against some machinery, Tempest attacked him out of protection, after making sure she was okay."

They played a clip of when I was thrown against the machinery from the security footage. I winced, I hadn't realized how bad that looked.

"She appears to be able to generate and manipulate electricity." The male anchor chimed in.

This was not the first time I had seen our fight being talked about on the news, it was all over. So it wasn't necessarily surprising that it was on CNN. Brooke walked in the living room and muted the tv.

"Hey, I was watching that story!" I exclaimed.

"Grace, you are that story." He rolled his eyes.

"Oh yeah," I smiled. "So, what do you want to talk about?"

I set my phone to the side, criss-crossing my legs.

"About you being a superhero, I have some rules." He said seriously.

I nodded, a motion for him to go on.

"First off, you will not be missing school to fight unless it is absolute emergency. That first time only happened when it did because I was caught off guard."

"Okay." I said.

"Secondly, you know the button I gave you?"

I nodded again.

"Go get that and your suit." He instructed.

I got out of my chair and went into my room. I went under my bed and grabbed the box my newly repaired suit was in (didn't want Anna or Will finding it) and the button, which was sitting on my nightstand.

I pulled my suit out of my box, and went into the living room. I sat on the floor next to Brooke.

"Okay, so lay the suit down on the floor flat." He instructed.

I did as he said, and looked at him expectedly.

"So, what next?" I asked him.

"Put the button on the suit, and press it." He said.

I gave him a weird look, but did as he said. The same flash of light appeared when I had put the suit on for the first time. When I could see again, the suit was gone, but the button was still there.

"Woah," I whispered in shock. "Did it go back in there?"

"Yeah," Brooke laughed. "Just do that every time and make sure that button is always with you."

"Okay, is that all?"

"That's it. Welcome to superherodom Grace."

I smiled at him, my eyes flickering the the clock, realizing what time it was.

"I have to go. I'm meeting Anna and Will for dinner." I told Brooke, standing up.

"But it's a Sunday night." He frowned.

"I won't be out long. Eight thirty, at the latest." I waved him off.

"Your homework isn't finished." He pointed out.