XV

Maybe I didn't want to die.

Maybe I didn't want to be strapped down to a machine, electricity flowing through me.

Maybe I didn't want Anna and Will to show Brooke my lifeless corpse, maybe I didn't want them to attend my funeral.

But those are just the kind of things you don't get a choice in.

I was dragged to the machine, where I would take my last breath. Black strapped me in, while Phantom typed in something on a computer. It was in a cave type thing in a mountain, with one wall missing. It was overlooking Cross Lake City.

"Where'd you get this hideout? Was Batman having a sale?" I snorted.

Black just threw me against the machine, metal digging into my ribs.

"At least I finally get to kill you." Black sneered, yanking me up.

He tugged my hands over my head, and hung me from the rocky ceiling. My feet didn't touch the floor, dangling a good foot or two above it.

"You know, Will's probably gonna break out of that room any second to save me." I said casually, like I wasn't dangling from a ceiling.

"Please," Black scoffed. "They couldn't leave that room if they had a wrecking ball."

"Then Brooke will find me." I said.

My wrists began to hurt from being held tight in the metal shackles.

"Brooke would never be able to find out where you are." Black said, grabbing something off the machine.

It was a pair of gloves. There was wires coming from them, hooking up to the big machine. What they would use to kill me. He neared me, starting to put them on me. I struggled, flinging myself around in the air. Suddenly I didn't want to die.

"Would you stop it?" Black hissed.

I kicked him in the balls.

"Not helping." He groaned as I smirked.

I could just blow all of the electric plants out in town, and leave. Take Will and Grace and Brooke and leave. But that wouldn't solve anything. They would find us, and kill them, along with myself.

At least this way I was the only who got hurt.

Black put the gloves on my hands. Phantom walked away from the machine, and over to me.

"Now this how it's going to work." Phantom said.

Black grinned from ear to ear, manically.

"When I say so, your going to ignite your hands with electricity. It'll harness that electricity, storing it up. You not going to be able to stop sending it out, you see. As long as those gloves are on you, they'll rip the electricity out of you. It'll be excruciatingly painful. Then it will kill you."

I sucked in a breath, half gasp, half whatever else. Tears filled my eyes. I blinked, refusing to let them fall. I had to be strong, to the very end.

"Don't worry Grace. It'll all be over soon." Phantom said, placing a hand on my cheek.

I threw my head foreword, smashing mine into his.

"Don't touch me." I snapped.

"Shut it." He growled.

"Turn on the machine." He instructed Black, holding his forehead.

Black walked over to the machine, and a pressed a couple buttons.