XI

I looked in the mirror at my puffy eyes and blotchy face. I cried myself to sleep last night. I never did tell Brooke what I was crying about, even if it did worry him half to death. It was already bad enough that I sobbed in front of him, I didn't need to worry him anymore.

I put on some makeup in an attempt to cover my blotchy face, but it did little good. I sighed and grabbed my book bag, before heading out the door.

Even if Anna didn't want to be friends anymore, I still did. But for now I would give her some space, before pleading with her to be friends with her.

Granted, she was right that I was lying to her. It was all my fault why she broke it off, but I only lied to her for her protection. But she couldn't see that.

I drove to school, finding myself fifteen minutes early. I parked my car, and got out. I walked over to the big oak tree, and sat down.

I rummaged through my book bag, pulling out the flash cards I made for today's vocabulary test a couple days ago. I read through them, trying to take my mind off of Anna.

"Are you okay Grace?" Someone asked.

I was pulled out of my studying daze to see Will standing there.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I lied. "Why do you ask?"

I put my cards up, standing up. I brushed the dirt off my black skirt.

"Well Anna's standing over there with Alex, and your sitting over here by yourself. Even though neither of us like him, you'd still stand by Anna." Will said.

"I just got here before her, she probably didn't see me like I didn't see her." I lied, pulling my book bag up my shoulder.

"Grace, you don't have to lie to me anymore," Will said softly, grabbing my hand. "I can tell your sad. What's wrong?"

My heartbeat hitched at his hand in mine, but I ignored it. I sighed, and explained the whole thing with Anna to him. I wiped a tear out of my eye when I finished, and looked at him expectedly.

"Oh Grace," He said finally. "I'm so sorry."

He wrapped me in a hug, which I gratefully returned.

"I know hard it can be to be a superhero," Will said once he let go of me. "But we do it because it helps people and saves lives."

"But Anna is one of my best friends. I can't lose her, not after all she helped me through. Not after my parents." I said, my voice thick.

A look of surprise came over Will's face. I never talked about my parents, not even to Brooke.

"She'll come back, she always does. I'll go talk to her later." He said softly.

"Thank you." I whispered.

I looked over to Anna, only to see her looking right back at me. I could tell from her facial expression that she saw the whole exchange between me and Will. She looked away from my gaze, and over at Alex.

"C'mon, I'll walk you to class." Will said.

I didn't say anything in response, but instead followed him to my first class. We walked in silence. I was thankful I had Will as a friend.

We reached my class after a few minutes of comfortable silence.

"I'll see you next period." I told Will.

"See you then Grace." He gave a little half smile before turning around walking in.

Anna had moved from her seat next to me, to one in the back corner. She was writing something in her binder. I sighed, and slipped into my seat.