IX

I parked my car not too far away from where the news article said Black and Phantom were spotted. It was in the more rundown part of Cross Lake, where most of the abandoned buildings were.

I grabbed my button, getting out my car. I sprinted to the building the article said, and ducked behind an old dumpster.

The smell was horrid, and I gagged, pinching my nose. I quickly pushed the button, and the familiar flash of light happened. I quickly scrambled away from the dumpster, swallowing the bile in the back of my throat.

I slowly creep into the old warehouse, which wasn't exactly abandoned. Sure, no one uses it for an actual textile warehouse anymore, but squatters and the homeless frequently stayed in here. I looked around the building, and didn't see anything.

But then there was a blur of color, and someone had put their arm around my neck from behind. I struggled, but whoever this was had a strong grip. I wrapped my hand around their arm, shocking whoever this was.

The person let go with a yelp, and I whipped around, prepared to fight. I expected to see a bad guy, not Acceleration Rush. I frowned as he rubbed his arm.

"You know, I'm not a bad guy." I told him, crossing my arms over my chest.

"I couldn't tell for sure if you were or not." Acceleration defended himself.

"Well next time look from the front so I don't have to hurt you." I said.

"Thanks for the tip," He smiled sarcastically. "I'm Acceleration Rush."

"I know that. I'm Absent Spark." I introduced myself.

"And I know that," He said. "It's not everyday we get a new superhero."

"Well I'm not your everyday superhero." I scoffed.

"I'll say," He mumbled. "What are you even doing here?"

"Well, Black is kind of my arch nemesis. Even though I've only fought him once." I informed Acceleration.

Acceleration did look a little bit familiar. If he took off his mask, I'm sure I could tell who he was. I shook my head. The chance that I knew another superhero was slim.

"I see. Well, as you can tell, Black and Phantom aren't here. My guess is that they're on the roof." He said, moving towards the stair case.

"Then let's go to the roof."

We moved quietly up the staircase, him in the front. This was my first fight I would do with another superhero, besides Brooke. It felt weird that I was going to put my life in some guys hands that I'd never met before. I guess I'll just have to get used to it.

We reached the top, and I slowly opened the door, careful not to make it squeak. The first thing I saw was Phantom and Black standing over a piece of machinery.

I ducked behind a big metal box, and Acceleration followed.

"It's almost done," I heard Black say. "But first,"

He appeared in front of us. He grabbed my arm, teleporting back to Phantom. Acceleration used his super speed to get away.

It was a weird sensation being teleported. It was like someone just changed everything around you but you, and you didn't even notice. It gave you a sense of vertigo.

"Nice to meet finally meet you Absent Spark. I've seen much about you." Phantom said, looking up at me from his work.

I rolled my eyes, and spat at him,

"Go to hell."

"Now now Spark," He tutted. "We can't be having disrespect."

He snapped his fingers, and the most paralyzing pain overcame my head. I groaned, clutching my head and doubling over.