XIII

Will wasn't at school Friday. He said that he'd be back Monday, that his parents were making him stay home. That was fine and all, but that meant there was no buffer between me and Anna I don't even think Will was on speaking terms with her after their conversation, which neither of them knew I overheard.

I was confused on Anna though. If she said she still cares about me and missed me, why did she stay away from me? I wished I could confront her about it, but she doesn't know that I know that.

I let myself into my house, grateful that school was out for the weekend. Brooke wasn't home, so I had the house to myself. Again. I sighed, slinging my book bag on the couch. I knew Brooke had to do what he did, but I just wished he was home more.

I turned on the TV, kicking off my shoes. I grabbed my lunch box, pulling out the granola bar I didn't eat at lunch. I checked my phone, seeing no texts from Will or Brooke. Frowning, I turned my attention to the TV.

It was some show I'd seen once or twice. I payed half a mind to it, just wondering about different things. My attention was pulled back to the show, when it started messing up.

There was static, and the screen was messing up. The actors voices kept changing pitch, and the screen was flashing from an image then back to the show. It was like someone was trying to force their way in the broadcast.

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion at the screen. The screen was replaced completely with by a dark figure on a brickbackground.

"Absent Spark." The figure said, grabbing my full attention if he didn't have it already.

I didn't know who the voice was, but it sounded modified and unnatural.

"Absent Spark." He repeated, in that same tone.

I stood up, slowing walking toward the screen.

"Absent Spark, if you're watching this, pay attention. We're coming for you. We know where you live, who you are, what you love. We're coming for you, Absent Spark. And there's no hiding from us. We're coming."

The screen glitched for a moment, before turning black, leaving static sound behind. Only one thought raced through my mind.

How? How did they know who I was? Where I lived? Who I loved? How did they know all that they claimed to? Or maybe they were just bluffing. But I knew one thing for sure. I couldn't stay here any longer.

I grabbed my button and my phone, shoving them in my hoodie pocket. I sprinted out of the house, barley remembering the lock the door. I didn't go to my car. If they knew who I was, surely they knew my car. I ran into the backyard, pushing the gates open. I ran into the corner, throwing a blanket off an object.

It was a motorcycle. Brooke taught me how to ride one, incase I ever needed a smaller ride or something. I never really thought I would need to use it. I grabbed the keys that were in a potted plant on the back porch, running back over to the motorcycle. I shoved on the helmet, and started it up. The engine roared to life, and I sped out of the backyard. I didn't close the gates because a) I was on a motorcycle b) I didn't have time c) the backdoor was locked anyways.

I drove as fast as I could to Will's house, constantly checking behind and around me. I parked in his driveway once I got there. His parents weren't home. I banged on his door, taking off the helmet. It opened almost immediately. He grabbed my arm, and yanked me inside.

"Were you followed?" He asked, locking the door.

"I don't think so." I said, pulling down on my purple hoodie sleeves.

"Good." He muttered, turning to me.

"Why do you think they did that?" I asked Will, collapsing on a chair in his living room.