My Whole Life, Just a Dream?

--Shadow's pov--

Everything is so dark, the last thing I remember was calling for Amy when we got separated. Just as her sub left the whole base collapsed in on its self, the water rushed in cold and heavy. But somehow I don't feel it anymore, the water... I feel as if floating but where exactly I'm not sure. It was so dark I couldn't tell if my eyes were open or not.

"Finally I have you." Mephiles' voice answered in the silence, "frustrating isn't it? You can't tell where you are, all you will know is darkness."
I had to get out of here, where ever 'here' might be. I tried to move but it was so hard, I couldn't even feel my body, but apparently I was moving, and my eyes were open. I saw a quick approaching white light!

"Now you will know the suffering of what you did to me! When all is done, perhaps you'll finally see things my way!" Though i was moving as fast as I could  Mephiles growled right at my ear. In a desperate attempt to make it away I made the finale lunge for the light and was blinded in a white out before all went dark again.

"Shadow." A young voice called my name, "Wake up sleepy head, you're having a bad dream." her voice sounded strangely familiar. I've heard her before, a long long time ago, but this can't be... "Shadow wake up, please!"

My eyes fluttered open, the blinding white light hovered above me as I was in a lab, on a medical bed. A pair of light purple hued eyes starred into mine with golden hair framing her face and a smile on her lips, "Shadow you're awake finally! You started to have such a bad dream."

"A dream..?" Meaning I just woke up from a dream? But I still must be dreaming! "Maria?"
"It's okay Shadow luckily I was there to catch you when you suddenly collapsed." She said.
"What?"
"Yes, don't you remember? It was just a week ago, suddenly you began to have some sort of panic attack and then you passed out and stayed in a coma."
"A coma? Only for a week?"
"Yes. I'm sure to you it feels a lot longer." She smiled, "But its okay now--"
"People don't just wake up from a bad dream in a coma! If they dream at all while in such a state. Where am I, and who are you really?" I growled this place, and scenario it doesn't all fit.

"Project Shadow I suggest you calm yourself, we wouldn't want to put you back to sleep after you've just woken up." A round man with a mustache of white walked in the room wearing a lab coat and shades.
My ears went back to hearing that name from his voice, "Professor?"
"It seems you're senses were over whelmed and you got over stimulated. I want you to take a rest and take things slow."
"But..." I couldn't understand, were they just telling me my whole life was just a dream? They want me to believe everything I had gone through wasn't real? The tragedy on the ARK, falling to Mobius, everything that follows after, that was nothing!?
"I'm so glad you're okay Shadow. Now we're all together and will have fun again. Looks like I get to take care of you now!" Maria giggled and took a stethoscope to my chest listening closely, "You're heart is racing. Are you scared Shadow?"
"What, scared? ...A little. I don't want to believe this is happening right now... but then again, I'd do anything in the world to know this is true."
"Was it about you're dream? Tell me about it, and we can get you some food. How about some Chicken soup?"
"A dream...but it felt so real." But now that I try to recount details of such a life, they all seem hazy, starting to fade from memory; just like a fleeing dream during the wear of the day.
"Tell me Shadow, tell Grandpa and I about you're dream." She sat close to the bed as Professor started to unhook wires from my body.
I retold the story of their death, and already Maria was in tears deeply sobbing in her chair and got up quickly to hug me, but Professor seemed emotionless to the tale, as he kept busy with his work putting away the wires and cleaning needles and analyzing tubes. Then telling the story of how I was reawakened by Eggman, which happen to be Maria's cousin but nothing I would consider family being an evil 'genius' and all. Then about Sonic, and all of his friends, that soon became mine, no matter how annoying they could be. Then of Black Doom, the subject of the alien was enough to make Professor stumble in his work.
"My Shadow that was a whole other life you lived in that dream." Maria wiped her eyes more and smiled, "But everything is fine now, that life was nothing real. And it was horrible! Full of tragedy, death, and betrayal." She shook her head and took the soup that an assistant had brought to the room and insisted on feeding me.
"It wasn't all that bad, It had a few good things-"
"Enough now Shadow, let it go." She pressed holding the spoon out to me, "You need to eat now, you'll use up all your energy by just constantly talking like this."
"Oh..." I looked down at the spoon not feeling hungry at all but knowing her she won't let me leave the room until I had taken at least one bite. After forcing my self to eat as much as I could from the bowl they left me alone in the room for rest. But I couldn't sleep, I didn't feel tired at all, not even weak from supposedly staying in a bed for over a week. As much as I knew that this wasn't real I still wanted to believe it. What if all the pain and suffering I had gone through really wasn't real. There had been countless nights I lay awake recounting the deaths and things I've lost praying to Chaos that it was all just a dream, to let me wake up from such a nightmare. This was what I always wanted, to wake up to Maria's face and everything be alright again. It was all going to be okay now.

"Shadow, what are you doing out of the room?" Maria asked when she caught me down the corridor.
"I, I wanted to be with you. Living in a nightmare was lonely."
"Oh Shadow." She smiled and took my hand, "I'll stay with you."