Chapter 14: Berserk

I stormed off in stubborn determination.

He burned me.

BLAZE BURNED ME.

I stared at the throbbing burn mark that was branded into my skin.

He actually... hurt me...

I stomped into the now-empty hall, snatching my crutches and hobbling out. The sun started setting, the sky's glow dimming to a coral color.

A voice in the back of my head kept repeating, He never meant to hurt you.

And I knew that... but it still hurt. It proved that he was capable of hurting me, on accident or not. And I didn't like that idea at all.

But I felt angry. He was trying to control my life! I know what I'm doing! And even if I don't I'm being careful. I trust Danny and he should try to trust him for my sake.

Then suddenly, sharp talons wrapped around my shoulders, and I shrieked as I was lifted off of the ground. My crutches clattered to the floor. 

Oh gods, oh gods, oh gods...  I thought helplessly.

I thrashed and kicked my legs, screaming again as I was lifted higher. I stopped thrashing when I realized it would be fatal for me to fall. 

The wind raked my hair back and whipped at my dress. The cold air from the high altitude stung my face, making my eyes water.

I looked at the earth that rushed below me. The trees looked so tiny from up here. My heart raced in my chest and my breathing was shuttered. I looked up to see electric purple eyes. I couldn't tear my gaze from the eyes for a long moment. 

It almost made me sick... to be in the clutches of the dragon that killed my parents... I was hit with a thousand different emotions like a brick wall. Fear, dread, grief, excitement, curiosity... It was all so overwhelming.

I cried out as I felt like I was slipping and I clung to the grip that held me.

It carried me for such a long time, My arms felt numb from the tight grip, my shoulders aching.

With a motion that made my stomach drop, the night fury swooped down towards a clearing in a field and dropped me about four feet off the ground. I shrieked and the angle of my fall forced me into a somersault and I landed on my back, my hands propping me up.

The dragon landed a few feet away from me and eyed me cautiously. I jumped up and took a step backwards, holding my hands out in surrender. "It's okay...it's okay..." I swooned.

She growled and took a step towards me. "I'm not going to hurt you..." I took another step back, my hands still held out infront of me. "You brought me here... for a reason... it can't be a coincidence - I'm the Darkstalker... and you gave me my powers..." I spoke slowly, hoping the dragon could understand me. I didn't have my powers anymore and I still couldn't understand dragons. It felt weird, like talking to a wall. But somehow... I just hoped she could understand.

"Even if I wanted to hurt you... I can't..." I held my hands up. "No powers, no weapons... just me... there's nothing...nothing to be afraid of..." She growled again and took another step towards me. This time I didn't budge.

I studied the dragon, noticing the purple markings that matched my own up one of her front legs, her neck, and her opposite top ear-fin. Instead of taking a step back, I took one forward. The dragon stared at me, but calmed down a little. 

I took a deep breath and held out my hand. I took a step towards her, but she growled softly. I extended my arm further, almost touching the night fury's nose. I could feel her hot breath tickling my fingers.