Chapter 27: The Darkest of Flames

"Give me the map, Darkstalker." Ezra snapped. His eyes were cold and hungry. He really felt he needed this map...

I carefully reached into my bag, closing my fingers around the paper, but keeping it there. "What do you know about Dark Valley?" I asked, looking up at him through a violet gaze. He flinched slightly, his gaze softening, then hardening again.

"What do you know of it?" He fired back, taking an intimidating step toward me. I wasn't going to let him bully me into being afraid of him, so I took a step toward him and he took a surprised step back before smirking.

"Not much. Just the name. Where is Dark Valley?"

"I don't know. What do you think the map is for?"He answered slowly through a set jaw.

"Who is the cheiftess of Dark Valley?" I asked again, pulling the map out of the bag, but gripping it tightly.

"There isn't a chieftess of Dark Valley. Almost all of it is burned to a crisp. Give me the map, Emma!" He lunged forward trying to grab the paper from me, but I reacted quickly, pulling my hand and the map with it out of the way.

"Then why did Drago have her crown?" I stuck my other hand into the satchel, pulling out the crown.

Ezra froze and stared. The way he looked at it sent ice spiking down my spine. I felt a need for answers. I heard a hissing sound below me, and looked to wear my feet were scortching the ground, leaving purple burn marks in the grass. I took a step back to not start a fire. Black flames are nearly impossible to put out.

"We had a deal, Emma, give me that map!" He roared.

"The deal was that I'd find the map for you, you said nothing about giving it to you. My debt has been paid." With that, I carefully shoved the items back into my bag. I quickly held up a hand, making a forcefield between Ezra and I, shaping it perfectly. I then clenched my fists and opened them again, spouting black fire onto the ground on Ezra's side of the forcefield. The forcefield was shaped so precisely that the fire could not grow and eat up the rest of the forest, but formed a protective line, keeping Ezra on the other side. Even he couldn't get through those flames, that is, until he gains enough energy to teleport again...

"Run!" I shouted, grabbing Daniel's and my brother's hand and dragging them in the opposite direction.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Hiccup, what's that?" Astrid gasped, pointing to the distance. "Smoke." she hissed.

"Let's check it out. Down there, Bud!" I shouted, pointing in the direction the cloud of smoke rose through the air. I heard Tyra shriek in fear from the back of Stormfly as we all dove down. We landed near the source of the smoke.

We all began coughing, the dry smoky air filling our lungs.

"WHOA. HICCUP. YOU NEVER TOLD ME BLACK FIRE WAS A THING...THAT EXISTED." Tuffnut shouted from nearby.

"W-what?" I gulped.

"Thank Odin! Yes!" Ruff shouted in delight.

I began breathing through my sleeve and walked over to where Tuff was. "What are you talking ab--" I froze as I saw a wall of purple and black flames.

Emma...

The flames didn't expand to eat away at the other trees, it just stayed where is was, whipping the air with deafening crackling sounds.

I turned around and searched the ground until I saw purple scorch marks in the shape of footprints.

"They went that way!" I yelled over the flames before jumping onto my dragon.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

We stopped at a small cove. It's stone walls would make anyone feel small. The turquiose water shimmered under the sun's gentle glow. The trees and grass were emerald green, swaying in the gentle breeze that whispered over the cove. The air was ice cold, despite the sunny skies.

I rubbed my hands together to generate warmth. Blaze sat down next to me and I immediately scooted closer to him as he radiated warmth. "You're like you're own sun." I smirked, leaning my head on my brother's warm shoulder. Warmth seeped into my clothes, heating up my whole body. Daniel sat down next to me, putting his hand on mine.

"Emma, what's that..?" Daniel asked, pointing at the sky. Several dark shapes loomed beside the clouds. It took me a moment to realize what they were.

I immediately rose to my feet, the warmth leaving me. But I didn't care. Because those shapes were dragons and the even smaller shapes on their backs were the dragon riders.

"Hiccup." I whispered.

It was hard to see them through the thick canopy of trees. For a heart stopping moment, they began passing the cove, not seeing us. "Hiccup!" I screamed, "Hiccup!" I frantically thrust my hands toward the sky, sending a purple energy beam whizzing passed the dragon riders.

Thank the gods it didn't hit one of them... I thought. Hiccup saw my magic and looked down. I began waving my arms to gain his attention. His gaze focused on me, and a smile spread across his face. He turned back to the gang and said something before pointing back at us. They quickly began their descent from the sky.

Hiccup landed next to me on Toothless, whose velvety pink tongue lolled out of the side of his mouth. There was a click as Hiccup undid his metal leg from the stirrup and a chink sound every time his leg his the floor.

He embraced me in a tight hug with strength I didn't even know he had. He started stroking my hair softly and whispered my name. I was shocked by the unfamiliar contact, but accepted it and hugged him tighter.

I had my best friend back.

And I was never letting go.