Chapter 1: Elena Crowe

Hey guys! It's my first time writing a HP fanfic, but I decided to give it a go. I focused it on Draco because...well I love Draco haha!! I hope you enjoy!

~~~~

It's been a long, horrible summer. First of all my Aunt Darcy has been smothering me about my schoolwork, trying to act as if she knew what she was talking about and trying to help me. She may be a witch but she does not know what she's talking about. I've listened to her relentlessly, pretending to take her advice only to go up to my room and do my homework without an ounce of the advice she gave me.

Honestly, how could she think that my Defense Against the Dark Arts class was going to be our teacher teaching me how to disguise myself as an animal? That would technically be considered Transfiguration. And I've assured her that Professor McGonagall has already taught us that transforming ourselves into animals would classify us as an Animagus. Aunt Darcy didn't really seem to listen to me, so I didn't bother trying to talk to her about it anymore.

Other than my Aunt, the summer has been nothing but dreadful. I haven't heard from anyone at school, not that I had many friends, but it made me feel lonelier than ever. I was almost debating on if I should even go back to school whenever I got a letter from Professor Dumbledore. My list of supplies I needed came with it, along with his condolences. That bit of encouragement made it easier for me to accept what has happened.

But...perhaps I should explain exactly what has happened.

Right before school ended last year, I was called into Professor Dumbledore's office in secret. I had no idea why he wanted me, but I knew I wasn't in trouble. I hadn't done anything wrong. While I was in there, he gave me the most devastating news.

My parents were killed by a Death Eater.
I remember crying in his office for at least an hour before he had a teacher escort me to my common room. I received questioning looks from people but no one bothered to ask me what was wrong.

I begged Headmaster to tell me which Death Eater it was, but for the longest time he wouldn't tell me. I finally was able to get him to spill after exams, right before I loaded up on the Hogwarts Express. He came up to me with sorrow in his old eyes, a somber expression on his face. "You must not act on this, Elena. I'm only telling you in hopes that you may find peace within yourself." He had said, and I had nodded to him, anxious to know.

"Lucius Malfoy."

I've spent my entire summer mulling over those two words, trying to feel anything other than hate. Why had he killed them? What did they do to deserve death? For me, there was nothing that they did in their entire lives to deserve death. But the thing that disturbed me most was that they were both Muggles. They had almost no involvement in the wizarding world, and yet they're the ones who get murdered.

I feel like it's my fault that they died. If I were born a simple Muggle like them, then they would've never had to send me off to Hogwarts, they never would've been involved with my different life...and they would've never been killed.

But now summer is ending, and I've accepted the fact that I'm the one responsible for their death. I've accepted it and tried to swallow it, trying to make it easier to deal with. It wasn't, but I've been practicing putting on a good show, which I've actually gotten quite good at. I've even fooled my Aunt into thinking I'm doing good, but I don't know if that counts as an accomplishment, knowing my Aunt Darcy.
I fooled my Uncle Sherman a few times, although he did look suspicious at first. I'm not going to let people see me differently just because my parents died.

We are in the middle of a war. People die in war. I'm not going to let that fact drive me away from the goal that all of us are striving for. I know the teachers are fighting for us, and I know that even the Ministry is starting to put up a fight. At least that's what I've heard. We are fighting against a powerful wizard who has returned to power and is threatening the peace of all wizards and witches in the world. I'm going to do my part in this war; and I'm not letting my parents' deaths paralyze me from doing so. I'm ready to fight. I'm ready to face anyone that I have to.