Chapter 3: Scowling Isn't A Pretty Look

I sat in my first class of the day, which was Alchemy. I wasn't particularly sure if I would like this class, but there were some things that the Professor said we'd be studying that did sound at least interesting to me. I hoped that it would be a wonderful class, but only time could tell. We sat in class and I listened intently, taking down notes that I thought would be important to have. By the end of the first lesson my brain felt like it had been filled up with information that I had never thought of, which was both amazing and terrifying. Alchemy pay prove to be one of my more difficult classes, but I did enjoy it; it would be worth the work I had to put into it.

Next was a class that I was dreading to go to: Defense Against the Dark Arts. We were sharing the class with Slytherin, unfortunately, but I was hoping that it wouldn't prove to be that bad. Usually we just stay out of the other House's business, but for some reason I felt that Slytherin would be the ones to make a mess of things. 

I'm hoping I'm wrong.

I sat down next to another Ravenclaw girl, but I didn't know her name. She obviously didn't know mine as well, because she didn't say a word to me. The class began to fill up and someone sat on the other side of the Ravenclaw girl, filling up our little table. I heard snickering beside me and I glanced over, immediately turning back when I saw it was Draco. 

He's in Slytherin. Of course he is.

Staying away from him is going to be a lot harder than I thought it would. I don't want any trouble with him, especially after what his father did. I'm ashamed to say that he frightens me to a certain extent just because I know what his father is capable of. I don't know if he's the same way and I don't want to find out.

I think he noticed me because the next thing I knew, I was hit in the side of the head with a crumpled piece of paper. I frowned before picking up the piece of paper from the floor, looking up at him confused. He just smirked at me and laughed while his two little cronies joined in with him. I let out a sigh and turned away, opening up the piece of paper to see what he put. All it was was a little note but what he put on it made me feel queasy.

'Very clever of you not to give me your last name, but it didn't take me long to figure you out, Crowe. I know exactly what you are.'

It didn't take me any time at all to realize what he meant by that. He knew I was a muggleborn. I know that the Malfoy's come from a Pureblood family, which will make it even worse for me. He doesn't seem like the Weasley's at all. In fact, I'm absolutely positive that he'd give me crap for no reason just because he could. That's what I felt was going to happen after receiving his note. 

I gave him a small glance and he narrowed his eyes at me slightly, a look of disdain on his face. I looked away, trying to focus on the lesson that Professor Snape was now teaching, but all I could think about was Malfoy's note. How had he figured out who I was so quickly? Why did he care so much to know who I was? My insides froze as I thought of a possible answer: could he be reporting me to his father? Was I going to be killed by him just as my parents were?

I crumpled the note back up and put it in my bag, not wanting to think about it anymore. I focused on the lesson the best I could, but Snape's voice was dragging as it always was and the fear I felt from Malfoy's note was taking over my right thinking. I managed to get down some good notes that would be useful, but by the time the lesson ended, I knew that I didn't learn near as much as I usually did in classes like this. And Defense Against the Dark Arts was a core class; I can't afford to fall behind here.

I gathered my things as quickly as I could before leaving Snape's classroom, hoping to avoid any further encounters with anyone. If I just read chapter one of my book, I'd catch myself back up in no time and I wouldn't have to worry about it. The thought made me feel slightly better as I walked down the corridors, ready to go back up to the common room so that I could start studying in my free period. I intended on going to the Great Hall to see if I could grab something leftover from breakfast, but that idea was flushed down the drain whenever I heard a sneering voice coming up behind me.