Chapter 13: What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

It's been a few days since Draco's told me about his big secret. Honestly I'm shocked he trusts me this much, but at the same time, I'm glad that he does. Now I don't have to worry anymore...in a way. It concerned me at first, him being a Death Eater, but it actually just makes me angry and sad now.

He didn't want this. This wasn't his choice to make; Lord Voldemort is making him do this, or else his family will die. I mean, I don't really care about Lucius, but Draco said it was mainly his mother that he was worried about. He said that she's too good to be a Death Eater, but she was brought into it with his father. Draco told me that she's the one who made Snape take the Unbreakable Vow.

That woman must have a lot of courage and love for her son to do this, and I admire her for that. I don't know how she ended up with that horrible man she calls a husband, but I can't just jump to conclusions because I don't like him.

But other than my conflict over that, Draco has seemed a lot more at ease around me now. He almost seems happier, actually. I guess that's because he doesn't have to hide anything from me anymore. He knows my big secret and now I know his.

It kills me to know that Harry was right about him being a Death Eater, but there was no way I was going to let him know. If anything, I'm going to be defending Draco even more now because I know the truth; he doesn't want this.

So now, I'm walking out of Defense Against the Dark Arts. Snape has been keeping an awfully close watch on me ever since I spoke out against him, so I'm doing everything I can to keep in his good graces...somewhat.

He's been eyeing Draco and I ever since we made up, but all I can think about is whenever he caught us in his classroom, and I can't help but feel embarrassed knowing he probably thinks that's all we do. We are much deeper than that! Not like Lavender Brown and Ron, who just make out all the time, we actually have deep, intellectual conversations that help both of us.

Speaking of Lavender and Ron, they're in the hallways now, snogging again as always. Harry was awkwardly standing beside Ron, waiting for him to finish, while Hermione looked incredibly annoyed. She caught my eye and eagerly came over to me, making me smile. "Can't stand them, can you?" I ask and she sighs.

"My problem is that snogging her is all he does nowadays. His studies are dropping lower but he doesn't care. If he does, then he has a poor way of showing it." she says angrily and I nod in agreement. "Someone needs to show him how to handle both." I mutter and she gives me a sly smile.

"Well I could use you as an example, then." she says and I give her a wide-eyed look. "WHAT?" I ask in a high-pitched voice and she laughs. "Oh, come on, Elena! It's so clear to everyone that you and Draco are together, there's no point in denying it." she says lightly and I sigh. "We aren't really official or anything..." I murmur, seeing her raise an eyebrow.

"Official or not, we can see it. And if Draco doesn't do something soon, I'm going to personally smack some sense into him." she says and I laugh, shaking my head. "Oh dear." I joke and she smiles. "Has he at least asked you to the ball?" she asks and I frown. I haven't thought about it, but he really hasn't. We've had a lot more on our minds than dancing.

"No, he hasn't." I say and she looks at me in shock. "You're joking?" she gasps and I shake my head. "No, I guess we haven't really thought about it. I don't have a dress or anything, I wasn't planning on going." I say and she holds a hand to her forehead. "Of course you're going, Elena! This ball isn't just for the students, you know. This is Hogwarts retaliation against the Death Eater attack. We're showing that we're still strong. Since you were one of the ones hurt, it's crucial for you to show up!" she scolds me and I give her a sheepish smile.